Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is a very tacile group and the hands on use of the current technology appeals to them.They want to get involved "right now" and don't have the patience for more traditional methods such as, lecture (audio),or written word (reading).

I would have to sgree. I have seen students use the technology and they are well informed on how to proceed when it comes to the use of technology.

They like to tie everything they learn to hands on experience to show them why they have/need to learn the material. If you don't show them how they are going to use the knowledge they may not feel it is important to learn and tune you out.

Because Gen Y learners are techie, hands on learners. They prefer to have someone teach them that has "been there, done that" and can tell them real life stories of what works and does not work.

Because Gen Y learners are techie, hands on learners. They need to be entertained.

Gen-y's are not wired to trust authority. Simpley saying "trust me, I know about this", is not enough. They need proof...your example of how you learned and applied a paticular skill.

Experiential learning is valuable because Gen Y learners want relevance. Not only do they want to know the method, they want an application of it, and then know that they can apply it and be successful too.

Because that type of learning is fun and usually have some type of story to go with it and not be so blak and white and tradtionally as other methods.

I also found that you have to build their trust and also some how tie the lesson to real lfe events.

Charles, earning trust seems to be the key with this generation. I like to spend te first couple of hours with new class just getting to know my students.

Gaining their trust is important. without trust there is no trusting and without trusting they dont tend to trust you and if they dont trust you they tend not to trust what you say and then the learning stops all because of trust

Benson,
I agree that we have to demonstrate our competence & trustworthiness to the Gen Y learners.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Miriam,
you are right that experiential learning seems to be a premium method for Gen Y learners.

Dr. Ryan Meers

And have value. If they preceve that there is value in the subject they will have much better focus.

Aaron,
yes, that value & real life application has to be there for them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have representives of multiple generations in my classes and I have found that all the generations like experiental learning not just the gen-y's. It sometimes take different approches to get everyone engaged but if you mix the groups it works well. Knowledge is knowledge and learning is learning.

I agree with John. Nothing replaces an instructor that has real word experiences to share with students. Most student want to be given a "heads up" on what life is about to hand them when they enter the work field. I like to share my good and not so good experiences. Most of all, I share my mistakes so they know that it's OK not to be perfect, but to learn from it.

Scott,
I agree that experiential learning is a great learning tool regardless of the generation.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Steven,
yes the real world experiences & stories help them see the practicality of what they're learning.

Dr. Ryan Meers

If you are referring to the experience of the teacher they value it. They want to know how to apply this information and they consider it a great success when they learn how.

Sign In to comment