Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many students also seem to have natural expectations that all forms of technology will be used in their classroom learning. They often ask for electronic communications or assignments in lieu of face-to-face options or hard copies.

I agree. It seems to be more distracting and a hinderance to education than an educational tool. It gets people in trouble.

A potential educational benefit could be realized if teachers could somehow incorporate their classrooms into a Facebook page. For example, have a class page where assignments are given and class lectures (or other relevant topics) discussed.

Sandi,
I agree that this can be a problem. I think this is where we must evaluate the class & content as instructors & make the best educational decisions for the particular class/course.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Nicholas,
it is interesting that some of the educational programs that schools are using for classes are incorporating some of the features of social networks.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree, our school uses Facebook as a way to keep the students 'together' as a student body, they are often on the page seeing things that are going on at school and I think they feel like they belong as we have embraced their networking methods. Communications between the staff and students relaxes some when we enter their world and help them understand we want to understand them and help them learn.

I believe that Gen Yers are in comparison to other gen cohorts more in tune with social media. Where as the Veterans & Boomers are not as adept with social media which is probably why is not being incorporated in the classroom as an educational tool. I think that LinkedIn would be valuable for students but I have not seen it promoted.

I love Social Networks, they can be (and sometimes a distraction as well) a vehicle for connecting students for group learning - the back and forth interaction without the instructor (and if not bad mouthing) can be a great facilitator for sharing and expanding knowledge.

I am not sure how to take Facebook to another level and use it as an interactive tool with my classes. The classes I teach have a wide range of students, many of whom are in Gen X or Baby Boomers. They don't use the Social Media as frequently I have found.

I think this is good, there is no way that the Social Media aspect, texting, etc. is going to go away any time soon, but we can use it to our advantage. The only piece I won't do, yet, is Tweeting.

Obviously the social networks are how gen y communicates which in many casees leaves them lacking the interpersonal skills needed to communicate face to face with others. I have seen this time and time again. Without those skills some gen y student may not ask a question about somthing they dont understand because they dont know how to ask the question. but let them text it....thats a different story.

It is a great way for these students to stay connected. However, at times, they have difficulty disconnecting to pay attention during live interactions.

Joanne,
I agree that Gen Yers tend to find multiple uses for social media. Older generations actually use these just for connecting whereas Gen Yers find multiple uses.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think the use of Blackboard is a more appropriate way to communicate as a group for the classroom setting.
Instructors can set up a separate account to interact with students, but it seems it would behove students to do the same. As is I have a problem helping students understand what is professional vs unprofessional behavior. Using Facebook for for classroom communication might be opening a can of worms! Although, a good point was made that employers can view a potential employees Facebook page and students need to be thinking about this.

Carrie ,
I think the key is regardless of which medium/tool we use, we need to make sure we are communicating with this generation in a variety of methods.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Carrie ,
I think the key is regardless of which medium/tool we use, we need to make sure we are communicating with this generation in a variety of methods.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Social Media Networks can be both positive and negative... In many areas of study, learning social media outlets is necessary once you enter the professional field. If faculty can incorporate these into classroom instruction could be very positive. That being said, faculty MUST have specific rules when allowing social media into the classrooms.

I feel a little different. although a great tool. What type of example is this showing for their carreers. Is it exceptible. Most companies have strict no network policy.

I was walking around a store waiting for my wife to decide what she wanted to buy, when I turned down an ilse where an employee was supposed to be stocking shelves. Instead she was texting. Ten minutes or so later I was walking with my wife and there was the same person, still texting.

The manager who runs the auto repair shop I use complained to me about a student of mine who worked for him as a technician. The manager gave him a ticket and keys to a customers car. the customer was waiting. Later he looked inside for the car, which was still out in the lot. He found the tech in a corner texting! He said to me, what could be so important.

Phones and computers have a place in my classroom but students need to be held accountable for what a "Boomer" boss things of them texting on the job.

I agree. It seems to be more distracting and a hinderance to education than an educational tool. It gets people in trouble.

Social networks are a means of communicating. They can be personal, professional, educational, etc. One can follow a person, place, or thing based on their interest so it can be a learning tool depending on the user.

Social networks such as facebook and twitter affect everything about our students lives the live breath and get thier news via this medium. The media is running the story which happened in my home town of a father who is frustrated with his daughters disrespect of his family on facebook that he shot her computer with a handgun. Needless to say this has the area in an uproar both for and against his decission. My own kids seem unable to realize that this medium has no emotions involved and it is so easy to get mad at someone when thier real emotions are hidden by the printed word

Sign In to comment