Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social networks are effective as a tool of resource for learning especially in certain areas such as marketing.

I find that social networks in particular Facebook, can become a distraction in learning the majority of the time, as many students are using it to connect with their in class. I don't require students to have an FB account, but for those who do, I encourage them to 'Like' one of the two school FB pages, where program specific information is shared. Pinterest is an effective option, because many students use as a means of finding inspiration for projects.

Knowing that the Gen Y students have to stay connected to their network, including social media, I have tried incorporating some of the technology in small ways. I do find it difficult at times, because there are some boundaries and limitations. For example, our school has specific policies that have to be followed. I am also trying to teach and reinforce soft skills for our students so they can secure employment as professionals when they graduate. I want them to understand when it is not appropriate to "multi-task," and be on their FB or Twitter account.
One thing I have tried, is allowing cell phone pictures of significant milestones in the program, like the first day or class and the last day of class. My rationale is that students are nervous on the first day and this activity helps them feel less anxious because it is something familiar. I encourage them to take the picture and post it to their FB pages right then.

They are a very valuable tool especially for this generation because this seems to be their main line of communication with everyone. Social networks also provide a lot of good useful information to students and everyone else that's willing to use it for that purpose. Its definitely not all bad.

Students will see something posted and show it to you in class wondering how to reproduce- it creates discussion and excitement

Social network and influences is like comparing water to a horse. It is a must

Social networks keep the student in touch with their peers and family, and allow the student to feel that hey are in touch with "their world". This can provide a calming, secure effect, but I have also seen it consume students if things are going wrong at home or in their social lives. I have also had students use their phones to cheat during exams, using the internet to search out answers, or using it to store answers that they expect to find on the exams.

Angela,
this is an excellent point that I had not thought of before.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Trevor,
and again they can be great ways for them to connect with future employers & to leverage contacts.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think social networks can be used by students to help reach out to their classmates for help with assignments or understanding concepts. Some students may not be able to stay after class for extra help, due to their schedules. Facebook is always available, and often posts get very quick responses.

Most Gen Y students see social networks as an extension of their school experience. They are bound to post their likes and dislikes about the school there as well as what is happening in class. They can easily be swayed by trending information and it's actually interesting to draw in some of the information for discussion in class. Opinions and thoughts have become accessible at a click and winning debates and arguments that much quicker due to fingertip access.

Social networks allow easy access to various events outside of the student's own personal network. This can lead to an increase on global awareness. Information such as articles are often shared via the social networks. However, in most cases, many of these social networks are distractions rather than aids to learning.

Social Networks are like air to the Gen Y'er. Like can't live without and as an instructor, you will find it difficult to compete with the attention and efforts they put into these networks. If you can incorporate instruction into a Social Network-like environment, you will have the majority if not all their attention.

Students who use social networking as a learning tool tend to enjoy the learning process.

response, I believe that social networking between instructors and students is going too far, instructors are checking on students when they are absent, on the social network, what happened to the student being an individual with responsibility and respect for the instructor to tell the truth for their time out.
I feel time should be put on just educating the students on the pros and cons of the social network and lets leave the idea of get close to the student and know as much as you can about them to their parents.

I have incorporated a LinkedIn session into all my classes first day of instruction. It provides insights into creating a professional digital profile as well as another means of communicating with me and others in class. I highly recommend it.

Social networks influence the learning of Gen Y students by setting up communication expectations, setting the look and feel and other expectations of the Learning Management System, and influencing what is expected within the in-class sessions. For communication, there is still a mentality of instructors being available 24/7. By integrating strategies presented and setting up communication expectations up front you can get a better management of the time spent on the course outside of in-class time.

As for the Learning Management System, this is somewhat out of the instructor control. With students previous experience of Moodle or Canvas it helps define what they think it will be. I have found that those with experience with Moodle like the LMS that is used; however, those that have used Canvas which incorporate several more features of Facebook think that the LMS that is used is severely outdated. When this is vocalized, I use it as a learning opportunity to say it is a transition to the working environment which is similar to what our LMS is, as well as, utilizing e-maill in effective manner.

For the in-class sessions, connectivity is key. I try to do this through the think-pair-share activities, as well as, group work. While I appreciate the examples and strategies presented in this module, our student population tends to be not as affluent and many are striving to maintain a household to live in and not gain technologies. Due to wanting to have a welcoming environment I would not choose to require students to use their own technology in groups during class, or utilize technology outside of class. For the later it would require many students to utilize on campus computers due to not having their own smart phone, computer, or tablet. While it may be more beneficial to Gen Y, selecting strategies should not be done if it would hinder other students within your class.

Sign In to comment