Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have the "no fraternization with current students" in effect on my campus, as well. This also includes Facebook and LinkedIn!

As far as Facebook in the classrooms...I do think that it IS a personal choice for instructors, and I like the idea of "checking up" on the students missing class, etc...However, I feel that to truly prepare students for their future careers, Facebook should not be the preferred medium, as it is JUST a social networking site; as opposed to LinkedIn which IS professional and a good way to network into a future career. I know that some schools have Facebook pages to link with students, but what they post as your "friend" comes back around eventually, and as a professional, you do not what to be there when it does!

I do think that it is important to communicate this to our students. Many employers are screening applicants by looking at thier Facebook page. I know at least 4 students that did not receive offers after a GREAT interview, based on their Facebook page!

It gives them a scene of connectivity and the flexibility to connect with classmates while they aren't in the classroom.

I do not believe social networks have a place in the educational process. It should be used for its original intent of social connectivity with friends and family. A consider it having another tool available to a student, but should not relied upon or part of the program of instruction.

Robbi,
yes, these types of groups can be a great resource for the students.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Credie,
actually Facebook was originally created as a tool to connect students in an educational setting for those purposes so it has morphed from it's original intent; it was born in the academic setting.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes I have had good and bad experiences regarding students on FB but the good out ways the bad...One rule I have learned (actually from a former professor of mine)is to only befriend students post graduation...other than that I will just keep my interactions to the schools page. It just helps maintain the level of respect and professionalism needed for classroom and out of class room interactions.

It is both a useful tool and a distraction. On one hand students can communicate and collaborate with others around the world and gain invaluable insight. On the other the medium can pull the students attention from the classroom and into their person agenda.

I dont believe social networking is a learning tool. It continues to propagate the "instant gratification" of gen Y students which is different than web based instruction.

I encourage my students to use the internet to research complex questions posed in class and for home work.

Brandon,
good point. I would not call a social network a learning tool, however helping students understand how to use some networks (i.e. LinkedIn) for career development is a good idea.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have learned how social networks can enhance student success. This class has given me some new ideas to incorporate social network technology into the classroom. As I have stated in previous post that I do have designated days for comprehensive technology use for my students.

In the technical environment F/B seems to be lacking compared to a subject based UTube topic.
The problem is use of utube material in a private for profit organization might have policy standards for or against using the material to support their curriculum.

Donald,
this is definitely a valid point. Youtube can be a great resource for some of the "how to" instructions but be mindful of who is sponsoring.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I don't believe social networks are particularly good for obtaining information about class material, but they are very informed and knowledgable of current events going on around the world.

Unfortunately I have found the use of personal computers to be quite distracting for many of the students in my classroom. I have sat in the back of the classroom, and noted several students flipping back and forth from taking lecture notes to checking facebook continually, even after guidelines were clearly set up at the beginning of the course.

Social networks helps them distinguish if what their thinking is correct in the collective consciousness of everyone. Without a social network they would have to go over to their friends house. They would need to talk to grandma on the phone. And more important than all they would have to wait their turn in a physical conversation. The best thing I have seen happen lately is generation Y's grandparents are getting on social networks and embarrassing them beyond belief.
Hence instagram was born.

Think about it...

Introducing students to social sights that focus on a element of the classroom content gets them connected to others of a seemlier interests, getting them "connected" to the class content.

I think Social Networks influence the Gen-Y students by giving them a 'Healthy Competitive' Drive. By them seeing their peers be a part of something or accomplish something, it in turn inspires them to do more also.

Allen ,
this is an excellent idea as it gives them the connections centered around the course.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Social networks can be used in the classroom as an educational tool. For instance, LinkedIn can be used to teach students how to interact not just socially, as they often do on Facebook, but professionally by setting up a mock LinkedIn account, for instance. Or, an instructor can use Twitter in the classroom by setting up a Twitter feed specifically for the class in which students may post and respond to one another's tweets on a particular class related issue throughout the week.

Sign In to comment