Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

These are very valuable tools such as texting, face book and tweeting ways to get the students going in the right direction as learning tools

Lloyd it seems that Gen Y students are more interested in socializing thaan actually learning or working. I have founf that I have to allow that social time in class periodically or they seem to lose interest.

social networks and the way they have been using them tends to lend itself to more cheating. They are used to cheat codes for games and they see it as no big deal to "Help a friend out" with the answers

Harry,
completely agree. To me this really is another form of addiction & let's be honest, you can't bring your other addictions to work & keep your job.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Marvin,
yes & in the interpersonal communication world they are struggling to figure out what all of this means for relationships.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have to agree completely. I have heard from several employers that there seems to be an addiction or entitlement to texting on the job. Some of these "Gen Y'ers" are losing good jobs because of it.

Kind of sad.

I would say that these network connection as tools are of subjective value. It depands on what the student is learning. I am in vocational training where a high degree of personal skill is needed in order to be successful. Whether you are in touch with fellow technicians means little when the work of a repair is before you. They, themselves must be proficient, competent, experienced, and willing to put handson skills to work. A hand held computer except for pricing and an estimate won't do a plumber much good.

These students seem to have to be in constant contact with friends and family. I can remember not having the cell phones and internet. Now things like Facebook are a important part of life.

Carlton,
I would completely agree. Not every device or technological tool is appropriate for every class or area.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Generation Y is used to comunicating using social networks. I can see the advantage of being able to email a paper or lab report. I can also see the need for caution with the use of phones and internet in the classroom. There are some that will struggle with self control.

Social networking could be considered as part of their circulatory system, the majority of teh Y generation could never phantom been disconnected for extended periods of time from their family, friends, club(s), etc... However, this could be used constructively, especially if they use sites like LinkedIn which could provide the student with a direct expossure via connectivity with similar profession individuals that could relate and help them become acquainted with the latest trends in the field.

Even though each person is an individual, each person lives in social networks that powerfully shapes the way they think, feel, and operate in the world. Ideas, emotions, politics, even weight and life spans – invisibly guided by network effects. Most Gen Y students are invisibly guided through their education by social networks

Clarence,
I completely agree & the key for us is finding that balance.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I seems as if they feel they don't need to know anything because their hand held buddy will give them all they need to know.

I would agree.It seems this generation has to be connected in some way at all times.I have had face to face conversations with these people,and have been stopped in mid sentence because someone is texting them, and they feel they have to respond right now. How sad

If we could teach with facebook and us an exbox360 we would have it made.

dennis,
this is definitely one concern I have with this generation in regard to their need to respond every second to every text.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The social networks keeps students aware of what is going on in the world, and it is a valuble tool for research.

We watch this very carefully where I work because of the chance of cheating.

I don't see any benefit directly to the classroom. To much time would go into trying to police everyone's use rather than anything actually being taught.

Sign In to comment