Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kelly,
I like this! Very creative!! Students will enjoy somthing new and outside the box!

Shelly Crider

In your everyday activities each student is evaluating how you handle a dilemma with a student or a patient or even a colleague.
So..its very important to model the professional behavior because each student will remember what you do versus what you said.

I think this is the root of the problem we are finding in the classroom. Many of the students have not experienced professionalism in their lives previous to college and have no idea how to behave, dress or relate to others. We do not have a Professionalism class at our college but the instructors try to focus on this in all of our classes and show by example. We grade students on punctuality, professional behavior, deadlines and require several presentations where students are required to dress professionally.

lilia,
I like this! We do need to model professionalism and this is a perfect example why!

Shelly Crider

Rosemary,
Excellent point. How can we expect something that has not been taught? You certainly do not know what you do not know.

Shelly Crider

At our school, even though the students are taking core classes in design/technology/medical areas of study, in my English class, I constantly stress the need for effective communication skills, regardless of their actual professional career.

I assist the students to develop professional skills by practicing professional skills in every place that the student may see me - the classroom, the hallway, the teachers' lounge, the parking lot, my car, in the facilities, etc. By doing this students will have a model of professional behavior to follow. I control the classroom by controlling the speech patterns and words used in it, emphasize polite behavior, and let other students act as professional mediators.

Mark,
This is true. You can be a great technician, but if you cannot communicate.....no business!

Shelly Crider

James,
I like this....even in the parking lot. It is terrible to see someone who professes professionalism, but rants at the car!

Shelly Crider

We also have a Professional Development Course at our school (I also do not teach this course) but I stress professionalism and proper useage of language throughout their tenure at school. I also stress the importance of using a professional attitude in everyday life (at home, grocery shopping, social media, etc...) I think this is will become a reflection of how they truely are in life. Just as Amy H. had mentioned - you never know who is watching.....

We hold the students accountable for their professional dispositions. In addition to their skill level, they are all also evaluated on Communication & Social Skills, Professional Demeanor & Positive Dispositions, Performance/Initiative, Thinking skills, and Organizational Skills. This helps them prepare for working in the "real" world. With this also being a part of their final grade, they can learn how to act once they begin their careers.

Christine,
I like the Positive Dispositions! Especially when students could be tired or have many things on their plate.

Shelly Crider

Carol,
Thank you for the proper use of language.....students just do not realize how important this is.

Shelly Crider

We ask the student to put on paper what their goals are after completing the training we teach them, and then as they move through the schools different classes they are asked to recheck their goals and see if they are on schedule to complete them or should they be changing them to adapt to the training they are receiving. Some students sign up for classes that sound interesting, but find that they really have no interest in it.

Gordon,
I like the fact that all the faculty (or school) buys into the task of asking students their goals!

Shelly Crider

On the first day of class (culinary), I discuss expectations for the term in a powerpoint. The expectations discussion covers behavior, punctuality, communication, preparedness, organization, and other matters that relate specifically to being a professional in our industry.

It is also explained that part of my job will be to reinforce those expectations throughout the term as a very actual part of the class. I observe and coach as I can to ensure that my students know what will likely be expected of them immediately as they enter our industry at a professional level.

Lou,
I love this! As expectations are everything! Knowing what is expected of us makes learning that much better!

Shelly Crider

We have a job development program where I work, so I have been trying to incoperate soft skills into my classes as well. For homework I have them do a good deed for someone and have them tell me 3 things that made them smile or feel good each day for a week. I make them present them in front of their class. We also talk about how they should talk to people in their offices/workplace as opposed to their friends or family. I do this so hopefully they will keep these things in mind when they are out in the working field.

Throughout my courses, I use a lot of group projects. I feel that this helps the students develop soft skills such as teamwork and effective communication. It also helps them recognize their strengths. For example, the one who is the better presenter will take that portion of the assignment while a cohort might choose to cover the visual aspect of their presentation.

The campus I work in has a student dresscode that student have to follow. I am a very strict about the dresscode and their behavior in class. Most of my students have not been in a professional healthcare setting and it is my responsibility to "groom" in their professional behavior before they go into their clinical sites. I also have them work in group projects so they will learn how to work with other students and work as a team.

Sign In to comment