Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students

Briefly discuss effective ways to motivate students during instruction by tapping into their emotions.

"What makes you happy?" I ask of my students some times. Why? Because you can be your own boss. You can set your own schedule. Drive where you want to go. Haul what you want to haul. Yes, being a Commodities Relocation Expert (OTR truck driver) allows for a lot of latitude in the work environment. The rewards of 'power of choice' in their next job really get them jazzed up!

I tell of my own experiences and the joys of such. I also tell them of the headache and hassles. Hey, any job has problem areas, so pick your poison carefully. The job, driving, is all the same. The choices of where, when, and what are up to you.

The emotions of happiness, satisfaction, and a paycheck for doing what you like are pretty good motivators. I only need to keep their eyes on the task at hand. One skill, one maneuver, one day at a time. Before they know it, they have achieved their goals.

Letting student know what you went through as a student and how you were able to overcome those issues.

Whenever I am teaching pathologies I encourage the students to share any experiences that might have had with an illness. When they, and the other students feel the emotion in a story it gives them meaning to the dry material.

Alexandra,
There are more dry subjects out there. What other methods can we use to motivate instead of personal experiences?

I believe that the best way to tap into students' emotions in the classroom is to provide an environment where the students feel free to share and then encourage the students to share personal experiences that relate to the topic.

Dolores

Interesting question, William. I will offer ask that when I am working with students and their career choices as well as ask them to dream about what their lives will be like in ten years. Once they have that image in mind, I find that it is easier for them to set goals in order to reach that point. As far as that goes, I will sometimes ask them to attach a string or rope or chain to that image and steadily keep pulling themselves closer to the dream.

Dolores

Troy, god idea! I also find that when students see that other students have the same issues or questions, they become freer in their sharing. I guess each one is afraid he or she is the only one with an emotion or experience that will be rejected.

I direct a program that includes students who have disabilities. This summer we had a five-day program when we brought 30 incoming freshmen to campus for s study skills workshop. One of those students was petrified that other students would find out that she had a disability. On the first day they were divided into teams and had to share some biographical information with others in the group. I was standing next to her group and I had to smile when two other students in the group nonchalantly mentioned that they had a disability; one of them was exactly the same as hers. I could also see her relax at that point.

Dolores

When discussing certain disease process in the class, students may sometimes have the same disease or a family member might have the same disease. I allow the students to share with the class their input in the disease.

I do the same thing it gets the students to talk about different issues

When a student or group of students master a skill I become excited with them. In doing so it brings the students into a new level of understanding. Questions and answers flow all around the subject. This helps to bring about a full understanding of the subject. In a exciting and fun way. Good feeling all the way around.

An instructor needs to show students a purpose for the information they are learning. If the students can see a connection between what they are learning now and the skills they will need in the future, then that information becomes more important to them.

Try to find a real world example which makes it personally relevant to them. Use pop culture etc..

Mark,
Good point. The more examples we can give to students to connect with the more likely they are to internalize the information.
Philip Campbell

I enjoy when students answer other students' questions. It is usually during an activity. For example, yesterday we used two strings of rope and twisted two students together by their wrist. The two students had to figure out how to separate without removing the ropes. The other students in the room were very supportive and helpful with ideas. This is similiar to using soft skills and emotions in the workplace.

Jessica,
Isn't that amazing when the students help to lead the class. Truly great experiences.
Philip Campbell

Teaching in the criminal justice field is an area which easily lends itself to emotions. In many cases I have to remind students they must controll their feelings. This stems from the basis of working in teams.

Its easy to motivate students if the are having fun . You also have to make the information intresting . and good job or you are good at this goes a long way

Instructors need to be the cheerleaders for their students. They need to be prepared for class, prepare to challenge and to be challenged,and to show up for their students.

Motivation come from within and without that we cannot motivate others. At a manager or instrutor we nolonger have the right to be negative in our teaching of others.

Our students should be an example of our ability to motivate and to teach the student to become the motivator.

Hugh Clark
National College

One of the things I do to motivate students is the first day of class, I ask them to briefly get up and tell the class who they are, what's their back ground. Some already know each other, but some do not. I find that if they know something personal about each other, they are more inclined to interact with each other and this seems to be a motivation to work harder.
I also agree that if you can show them how the course relates to their reality and future, they are more motivated. Someone said they ask them to imagine 10 years from now. What a great idea.

Sign In to comment