Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have two major causes of stress: the students and changes in the standards of teaching.

Some students simply will not perform. They are capable but will not attend class, will arrive late and/or leave early (always with a "good" reason) or will not do the assigned work. No amount of discussion with them will make them understand that they are spending a lot of time and money to fail. Some will eventually get the message but many will not and this causes problems since the school wants them to succeed. My response has been to try to talk with the students and help them understand that they can do the work and that they need to for their future success. Sometimes it works.

Also, both of the schools in which I teach are going simultaneously through curriculum and text/program changes that are making me rewrite my courses. We also recently changes elearning systems and were not able to simply port over existing classes to the new system. This meant not just a lot of additional work but also listening to the complaints of other instructors about the problems. The stress level is high and tempers are flaring. My response has been to stay out of the whining sessions and do the work as quickly as possible while not withdrawing from the relationships with my colleagues.

Stress for me is usually caused by students. I teach a unique group of students that feel entitled to everything. They dont want to take tests, and when we do they want me to go over the questions exactly before we take the test. I dont feel that is a good way to test learning and comprehension.

I also have a lot of strees between my wife and I due to my work schedule. I work 8a-12p and then 530p-1010p mon-thur. So we dont get a lot fo time together.

Our program is an accelerated program which means there is a great deal of material to be covered in a very brief period of time. This is stressful for me in keeping to the course outline and staying on schedule. It is stressful for the student in keeping up with the course requirements and that stresses me also when they are struggling with a concept. As they struggle, my stress goes up in keeping to the course timeline yet making certian that students have ample opportunity to learn the necessary concepts and material. This is just one type of stress dealt with each term. There are personal stresses in my life such as child care needs. Stress can be healthy or unhealthy depending on how one deals with stress and manages it. It will always be a part of my life and dealing with stress in an organized and level headed way has greatly improved how I feel toward daily stresses as they arise.

Most of the stress we see is based on getting the product for our students to complete there daily projects

My stress comes from having multiple responsibilities. I am in the habit of adding both professional and personal projects to my to do list. When in fact, I should decrease projects.

stress is a product of life--reduce it by removing stressors-eliminate by dying early

Well that's certainly one way of thinking about it Katrena. In this case, let's focus on reduction and removal for sure.

I have alot of personal and professional stress. I overextend myself all the time. I need to work on reducing the amount of stress in both my personal and professional life.

it is important to know what stresses you out and fix the situation

students not showing up to class on time is very stressful. then i have to repeat everything i just said.

That's really frustrating Charlene. Note that you do not have to repeat everything you said before late students arrive. Late students should be responsible for getting the material they missed. Missing important class information is a penalty for being late to class.

I Larry and Stephan,
I know this stress factor well as I too work for the same corporation. You both are correct, there are many changes that will occur in life, and it is the fear of the unknown that stresses us out. Take time to do the research and find the truth and it will alleviate the stress level.

Meetings
department
Staff

Staff
New Staff
Personal Conflicts
Turnover

Family/Work Balance
Boy Scouts
Quality Time
Time for exercise
Time for sleep

As a Program Chair, I teach a morning class and then after the morning class I start on my Program Chair responsibilities. This takes me into long hours at work an d then I don't spend to much with my family which xcauses more stress.

It's a big challenge when we are responsible for multiple roles Michael. Wearing different hats throughout the day can be stressful - especially when it takes us away from our loved ones.

One cause of stress is having items prepared for student demos. Putting together a plan as to when certain items need to be ordered/prepared as opposed to dealing with all items at the same time has reduced that stress dramatically.

Sounds like a great approach Terry. Thanks for sharing. Yes, when we have a plan put together, it's much easier to address each task calmly and not all at the same time.

1)Work with the requirements and needs of the faculty and the students, dealing with traffic
2)Personal with the needs of my wife who is recovering from cancer, and also the needs of my 4 year old daughter.

Life of a nurse is stressful most of the times

Stress as a clinical instructor:
Checking Care plans of students at home
Dealing with students who expects a lot from you but does not give effort
Keeping up with the standards of the institution
Trying to adjust to different clinical sites assigned

Nurse on duty
Dealing with demanding patients
Dealing with incompetent co-workers
Keeping up with patient care and charting
Learning ways to improve to meet the expectations of the facility

Personal life
Trying to find a good relationship
Keeping up with Daily needs
Maintaining friendship

typing this stressors sort of making me feel better,hehehe

I find that the constant policy changes at my career school on a daily basis often lead to stress for me personally. Although I normally change my behaviors to reflect these new policies, I find that the process is stressful within itself. I must constantly tell myself to "just do it," even though I think there are better ways for this change to occur...

Sign In to comment