Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the past, I often felt unsupported by the administration at my school. I suffered from insomnia, developed respiratory issues and had to see a doctor about my endocrine system. Since then, I took up yoga, changed my diet and have distanced myself from the administration.

I'm a new instructor, I have many years training in my field but not actually teaching. I have found it difficult to find the time to prepare for my morning class and an evening class, grade homeworks and exams for a total of 49 students, print out materials needed, and eat lucnch within my working hours. I usually get to work at 8:45am, first class at 10:30am till 1:30 pm then break and prep for next class that starts at 4pm to 7pm. I usually don't get home until 9pm. Inaddition I'm a single parent of a ten year old and making sure I have enough time for him is a big stressor for me. I hope with this course I can learn to take better control of my time.

Administration is unfamiliar with the subject matter of my classes and expects a standard based on other diciplines. The student's opinion is the instructor's scorecard. If the student doesn't get an A grade for the class it then becomes the instructors responsibility no matter what the student's participation or test scores have been.

The stress of the comute seldom are an issue, but occasionally become a problem when an accident happens or the holiday shopping rush is on. I anticipate these isssues and yet I don't compensate enough at times.

Money is never enough. The minute I have the budget worked out then something comes up.

A friend of my wife lost his income and was going homeless so we took him in. He has two dogs which added to the three we already have. The two birds swak at dinner time and there just seems to never be a peaceful time.

My primary job at the hospital is more than one person cam accpmplish in an eight hours. My to-do list gets added to but never gets addressed.

Where do I start?

I get stressed about everything; I am a naturally nervous person; to reduce my stress I do as much as possible and I am never late with tasks; and I always get students work back to them the next class period.

Stress in my life; home life issues, students and do I have a good rapport with them, do I have a good rapport with my coworkers finances give me stress.

Going outside the box to teah is uncomfortable but I try and the best lessons I have sometimes are those when we go off on tangents; but it seems to be the real learning experience for the class and myself.

I have a combination of stressors that attribute to stress in my life. Logistical - trying to work too many jobs at once, maintain a family, make time for myself. Also the class requirements can be extremely stessful. Putting too much of a workload on an instructor, especially that which is paper intensive, can be extremely stressful, due to the lack of time allotted to complete such tasks.

Diane, Sounds like the right approach for you. Sometimes naturally nervous people do better when they work ahead. It gives them the feeling of control when being ahead of schedule. It also helps them clear their minds.

Dr. Melissa Read

Work is stressful because of the constant change that comes as a result of working in a government office with politics and people with over-blown sense of importance. Teaching is refreshing, especially with the students who are engaged. Stress at school comes with all the little BS paper requirements put on teachers. I'm compensated by classroom hours only, but every time I turn around, I have to take a course, or attend some hastily called meeting. I'm expected to be there, even if I have no classes this quarter.

Most of my stress comes from personal issues. Concerns with my kids. With my finacials. I find work and the interaction at my work give my head a break form the things that stress me out

Herman, Really interesting to hear and you are not alone. Some instructors actually feel that work is an outlet or place to cope with their personal lives. Some of us are simply blessed with peaceful work environments and we have a lot to be thankful for!

Dr. Melissa Read

Most stressors at work- show up on time and find out that you do not have enough students for class. Do I still have my job? This is the question of the day

Tatiana, That's a tough question to be dealing with. In this economy, the potential for job loss is often top of mind for instructors. I recommend always having a backup plan, especially if you are noticing class sizes are unusually low.

Dr. Melissa Read

Mitchell, Administrative tasks can be tough for teachers. Often times, we didn't get into this profession because we wanted a bunch of paperwork. Instead, we are often inspired by shaping young minds and giving people great direction. So it can take the wind out of our sails when we are tasked with fulfilling requirements that don't relate directly to that passion.

Dr. Melissa Read

It seems that stress has many categories, but it is the reaction to the categories that makes or breaks the person in that situation.

Faith, So true. I often tell my students that it's not the stress we face in life but how we choose to manage through it.

Dr. Melissa Read

I would have to say my stressors are more logistical than anything else. I probably cause myself more stress from lack of organization. I am learning the benefits of being more organized. Being in the healthcare field can be stressful and I think it is good to show the students this aspect and to be a good roll model as to how best to deal with these stressors. Balancing life and career can be stressful and modeling successful balance is also good for the students (as well as family and self, too!). It is okay to be human and show that we feel stress the same as the students. It is important that we model positive handling of the stress. It is easy to fall into the trap of mishandling stress. Sometimes talking about stress and how to positively deal with it and the alternatives/consequences is as valuable of a lesson for the students as the curriculum is.

Bethanne, All great points. It's interesting to hear your thinking around the stress that you cause yourself. Some of us have a tendancy to get really worked up about things. Sometimes - to your point - this has to do with lack of organization on our part. Other times we build things up in our minds. It's important to take a step back and try to put things into perspective when we feel stress rising, if for no other reason than to be better role models for our students.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment