Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is a great list Antoinette. I know it can be daunting when we see everything on paper but it's a wonderful step in the right direction. From here, you can prioritize and scale back, understanding both the benefits and consequences of doing so.

There are many ways to releive the daily stress. I find a 20 minute cat nap in my car helps tremendously.

I have come to the conclusion that I can’t do it all. Based on this conclusion, I have something to look forward to several times a day. First I walk my dog in a nearby green space of 35 acres. No one is around and I can concentrate on the scenery and my dogs delight. Next to work, then, listen to my coworkers solutions to the workplace environment. Luckily, the commute home is not during rush hour, and I blast the radio and sing along. After I arrive home, feed the dog, make dinner, walk the dog around the neighborhood, I have set a time to not be interrupted, usually about an hour, to work on my hobby and then socialize with family members. Study or watch TV and then hit the sack. When the next day stressors fill my mind, I convince myself that I can’t do anything about it now and that it WILL have to wait until tomorrow. Having plans for the weekend also gives me something to look forward to

Glad you mentioned this Steven because a cap nap works so well for so many instructors. If you can find a quiet place at work, it's the perfect way to recharge.

Sounds like you have a very lucky dog Daniel! Really love what you've outlined here. It's great to see how many ways you enjoy your day - every day. I can really understand why you look forward to getting up in the morning!

Using valuable time in my day can really stress me out if it can be avoided.

As an instructor, I sometimes get stressed out having to meet the needs of difficult students who not only avoid the rules but also make your day harder/longer. The time spent having to discipline and document can disturb the routine class agenda.

I get stressed out having sort through medical bills the insurance company decides to deny payment on. I then spend hours making calls to the insurance company in order to get the bill paid - as it should be.

Right now, my biggest stressor is my commute. I have to get adjusted to the route and the amount of time it takes to get to the school. Good music helps with this a great deal. Music relaxes me and helps me to pass the time.

One of the major sources of stress I have is having an idea of something I would like to do in class,home or at work on a computer but I don't know how to accomplish it. So I guess you would call it the technology challenge. In solving this it would free more time for things that I enjoy doing.

Kevin Wynne

The section, "Expectations from Family and Friends" rang true for me. I was just having a mini-meltdown this morning about having to work everyday, all day, in order to keep up with my teaching responsibilities, housework, errands, home infrastructure, children, changing expectations from day to day, exercise, anything like a social life... It definitely gets overwhelming.

Where to begin... Students who don't follow directions and cause me to double and sometimes triple my efforts; professional development responsibilities; two sons, 21 months apart, who don't understand why my being at home doesn't mean I am available to them; the gerbil wheel of laundry, dishes, picking up detritis left by others; rarely having a moment to myself. I believe these all fall under the category of "not able to eliminate" and "not able to reduce."

Bills, meeting demands at the career school. The career school stressors are based on all of the above (logistical, student needs and college requirements). I had to take the quarter off because the stressors from the previous year and a half had taken its toll.

My biggest cause of stress is one of my supervisors. He has that big me little you syndrome. Everytime he talks to me he talks down to me. He goes out of his way to say things that makes him feel smart and me feel stupid. He does it to everyone not just me. I really think he doesn't know he's doing it, but it totally stresses me out. Being my supervisor I can't bring myself to talk about it with him, but sharing this with you seems to help.

Yes, they all do. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate Jenny. Good summary of all of your challenges. Coping mechanisms like exercise and breathing could work well for you.

One of my major stressors was balancing family, work and a doctoral program all at the same time.

Balancing the efforts required to meet all the tasks resulted in some time management and prioritization along with ways to deal with the stress.

From quiet dinners to exercise and sports were essential to success.

Personal/circumstancial stressors
*Full-time job
*Full-time student
*Full-time mom to a 6 month old
*Full-time wife

Student needs
*too many students in each class
*lots of "big personalities" in one class
*varying needs that equate to not being able to please everyone

College Requirements
*having to take these C.E.E courses on top of an already packed schedule
*having to use textbooks I don't care for

Organizational Factors
*Friday meetings that don't accomplish anything and feel like a waste of time because the info rarely if ever applies to me

A slow learning class. We teach high pressure very technical courses on a 3 week schedule. The course MUST be completed on time. Some times you have to push or work 1 on 1 and remind them we have tutoring. I have to stay flexable on the available tutoring times. Before class at 6:00 AM, lunch or fater class.

As a teacher, my main "stressor" is meeting my school director's expectations. I always give my best, and more, but get little to no recognition for it! Then, to never know if your efforts and devotion are good enough, give you a considerable amount of job insecurity... Since I am a positive person, I remind myself that as long as the students has learned, I have shared my knowledge successfully!

There are many different issues that provide stressors in my career. They come in many different forms.

Logistical Factors - there are many different

Student Needs - student needs are important at almost any cost. The events of students that cause stress can typically be avoided with proper planning on both the part of the student and the instructor. Organization and execution of plans make life easier on both parties.

College Requirements - it is somewhat impossible to understand why my organization tends to have and urgent need for every request. Unfortunately, it seems the expectation is that instructors have just one job 4 hours per week. Wow!!! that would make it really hard to survive, but with the amount of detail required often within 24 hours, it seems quite an unreasonable expectation.

This causes unnecessary stress.

I couldn't agree more. The head of our CJ program is the type of individual that you are able to approach, talk with, and get great input from, no matter what the problem.

So great to hear James and what a difference that must make for you! When our leadership are approachable and easy to talk to, we get to communicate what we need and get the feedback we are looking for.

Sign In to comment