Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find that my stress increases when I don't have enough time to prepare for a class. I finish one course and start another one in the same week. I would appreciate time for preparation.

Colleges can put great expectations on instructors that can cause a great deal of stress. Sometimes instructors can have very difficult students that blame the instructor for problems they have created for themselves. Meanwhile, the instructor has really bent over backwards to help the student and if the instructor is not a person that goes to management all the time about the student admin or the student will not ever see how much the instructor actually does for the student.

Stress can come from students not being the students you know they can be. Family life can always contribute to our stress, and family also never really consider that they may be creating more stress because they are family.

This is great perspective Abigail and so true. Sadly, some students will play instructors and their administrations against each other in order to advance. It's a shame when this happens and it's stressful for sure.

Some recent causes of stress are a lot of changes taking place at our school. The courses are changing , along with the structure of the school itself. It seems like things are starting to calm down, and I expect once all the changes are in place some of the stress will calm down also.

That's tough to hear Gretchen and it's really a global challenge that instructors face. There are so many changes to educational institutions today. To be effective in this ever changing environment, we've got to find the best methods of rolling with it.

Major stressors in my life or career include the following:
Personal
1. Responsibilities to family and friends
2. Finances
3. Personal relationships
4. professional obligations and student needs

There are several factors that create stress for me in the workplace. However the most annoying is not having the properly functioning equipment necessary to effectively teach the class. Not only does it create frustration for me as the instructor but the students also feel short changed.

Currently, the largest source of stress for me is juggling my full-time career job, with my teaching job. I have learned to compartmentalize the time that I spend with items related to my class. My instinct is to tackle everything right away, but that is not always the least stressful solution. Setting aside specific days/hours for grading/planning for my class has proven to be very effective.

Stressors for me surround primarily in the teaching environment, and facility. These stressors were based on logistical/ organizational, students, and Faculty needs.

There were numerous issues related to:
1. How the program was structured
2. Length of the program
3. How the courses were scheduled for
4. Students given incorrect information or omitted
5. Communication poor for Faculty and students 6. Faculty not asked for their feedback related to the program issues
7. Not having sufficient time off during terms for Faculty

These are the things that are potential stressors for me. However, I am of the mindset to not allow things that I can't control stress me out. This has worked well for me over the years and I continue to deal with these kind of issues in the same manner. I am a proactive kind of person and will make the best out of the situation that I can for both the students and myself.

Interesting approach Carrie. I like the idea of compartmentalizing. Many instructors use this technique to effectively approach work and personal tasks.

I believe a stressfull factor in my life is economics. In part it is related logistical factorsa and college requirements. As a fulltime faculty in a culinary arts college,my responsabilities include the completion of two courses daily. The problem is that college management changes your schedule every module. This is not done deliberately but in response to the students and college needs. It is very hard to maintain a second job when one's main schedule constantly changes. Don't know the answer to this one...

I have a very full life, very full. I am a full-time career school instructor with program director duties, I am a care-giver for my 89 year-old mother who lives with me, I am a home owner, I have three grown children who look for advice from me and I am a grandmom who sometimes have to do some baby sitting. To say that I am stressed is an understatement. But, I do try to fit in some me time like messages, and silly relief time with my girlfriends, which helps alot.

Wow, that's a lot of stress Cynthia but you seem to be managing it very well. Your coping mechanisms likely do just the trick. Massages and time with girlfriends are the perfect way to unwind.

As an Instructor at times I have found it pretty stressful in three main areas which encompasses my career as an Instructor, but aslo carries over into my personal life. the first is dealing mainly with the certain types of students that has a preset feeling of the class itself; two am I measuring up to par with my fellow peers with information and technical experience; and third am I devoting enough attention to the lesson plan and subject matter to much and slightly neglecting my family time and moments by doing extra research trying to stay ahead. These are the three stress factors that manly stands out but its something I manage through daily and get better at adjusting to them as they present themselfs which each class as well as job performance reviews.

Yes, we do get better over time Lloyd, but it sounds like you have a tremendous amount on your plate. Your sources of stress are a challenge, but very common for instructors. If it seems right for you, you might reach out to others who are experiencing similar situations to learn more about the methods they use to cope.

One of the biggest is always changing hats at a moments notice. Although my children are adults now, making sure that I fullfilled my role as a parent first was always stressfull. And feeling like you were doing an adequate job at parenting, while fulfilling your other roles.

Which then comes back to feeling successful in the classroom, giving up some of your personal free time to plan, prepare, or grade; so that when you walk into a classroom you can give it your best while you're there

If you can take short walks a few times during the workday the benefits are wonderful!

There are some many things that causes people stress, identifing the nature of the stress is the beginning of becoming stress free.

Indeed! Walks are great because - weather permitting - they can happen anywhere. And even when the weather is bad, you can still walk the halls.

Great overview Carol. What I'm hearing is that you experience many different kinds of stressors in different environments (e.g. home, family). Also, some stressors that created major challenges in the past have evolved and changed. It's good to take a step back and look at the landscape of your stress, where it comes from and how it changes.

Sign In to comment