Prep Time
Grading
Curriculum Design
The Commute

Personal:
Dinner
Household chores
Family time

I had an excellent example of negativity that could've ruined the entire class atmosphere. Diffusing a "ticking bomb" is very difficult; but I have support from administration that really helps. An "acid" personality can bring many other students down; unable to focus on what they're paying for and wanting to do for a living. Harassment was part of the situation and thankfully for now it's been taken care of by a change of class for the student.

Glad it worked out for you and the class.

I'm glad you mentioned this Rick. It's important to make sure that one student doesn't take the rest of the students down with them. Containing the problem early is the best bet. It takes a little time investment up front but is well worth it in the end.

This is a great list Adam. I'm see that the Teaching / Instructing line item is not listed here. Why is this?

Honestly, the classroom is the most relaxing and easy part of my day. I'm already scheduled with the times I have to be there, so there really isn't much planning needed. The only time when I find teaching stressful is if there is a particularly tricky toxic personality. Usually I can navigate it, but every so often there is one that I can't. In that case, I just have to roll with the punches.

I have to say I agree. Teaching is great and very relaxing, especially when we take the time to prepare. Every once in a while there will be a bad student, and this can make things stressful. But on the whole, my students are great and teaching them feels rewarding.

To me, the greatest source of stress is myself. When I let things get to me, or when I "buy into" other's negative attitudes, I feel stressed.

Other areas that create stress for me are oganizational factors. I do not like to be micro-managed and sometimes have to work in an environment where this happens.

Stress definitely can come from within. Coping techniques can help us reach a place of calm.

I teach online and on ground. The stress of sometimes having to be at two places at once is too much.

It woould be easy to give one up and focus all my efforts on just on teaching medium, but the pay is very good, and I keep on saying I can "work it all out"!

Indeed. Compensation for the stress in our lives can inspire us to keep going when times get tough. We just have to know our limits.

I have to say that one of the major stressors in my life is meeting the demanding expectations of instructors for the school I teach for online. I love what I do, but I find myself juggling the demands from family, work, and having just some plain old "me time". I feel like I'm always glued to my computer either answering e-mails or grading papers. This course has given me some valuable tips on how to manage my time more effectively. Those who have been teaching for a while can you please give me a few tips on how to manage it all.

One tip that I can share is to schedule your "me time" - to actually write it on your calendar and take it as seriously as all of your other calendar events.

My students are extraordinarilly bimodal in their abilities. Some of them can understand science and Biology clearly and others don't know what photoynthesis means. Those students who are a little higher in their basic level of science conmprehension are getting a lot out of my class. The other group however gets frustrated easily. This is the main cause of my stress at school. I can't figure out how to get across to the "scientifically challenged".

This is a common problem William. One solution is to ask the higher-level students to work with the lower level students to teach some of the basic concepts. This can benefit both groups. The higher level students get experience teaching, and gain a deeper understanding of the course material by presenting it in their own way. The lower level students get to hear about course material from their peers, who can sometimes be better at speaking their language and getting through to them than we can.

One of my major causes of stress in my life is that I am very experienced as a Pharmacy Technician over 21 years but, I have no experience as a instructor, which I am also. It's been 6 months and I am still making mistakes and the stress level is way to high. I know I am trying my best and doing what I can, I do everything they ask of me and then some, but I feel its not enough. I feel like i am am hanging on by a thread and someone is about to cut it. I don't want to fail at this, I think I have great potential and even my bosses tell me that too, but back in my mind all I can see is failure.

That sounds like a difficult situation Andrea. Every new instructor experiences a learning curve for the first year or so. The good news is that you have so many years of subject matter experience. When you finally get comfortable with teaching, you will have so much to offer your students. There are many instructors who begin teaching with much less experience. Once they get past the learning curve of teaching, they only have so much subject matter expertise to offer. And that's a challenge that's much harder to get past.

My stressors in my career, at this time, are with coworkers and their work ethic. Work ethic is very important to me. However, when one is exposed to constant distractions and it appears that I am the only one working I become disheartened.

It is very distracting to try to perform your best when all around you is creating havoc and discord.

Also, I become disturbed when there is no cohesiveness within the team. It seems thoughts, opinions, suggestions are rejected without being heard. Simply put, it seems the majority of my team is more concerned with their egoes than doing a good job.

That sounds really tough Marcia. Coworkers can cause a great amount of stress - especially when we work in teams and count on one another to get the work done.

Conflict with personalities in the workplace
Lack of structure
Health issues
Family issues
Last minute requests/decisions/changes

Sign In to comment