Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learn to be patient of the student, and find different methods of showing how to teach the subjects.

Adult learners have many responsibilities that could hinder their academic progress.

The student retention courses are very beneficial both for the student and instructor because it allows both the student and instructor to work in collaboration to accomplish their goal.

I have learned that there are so many components to student retention. We need to look beyond the surface when a student is struggling. Many times financial strain, home stress, cultural barriers, or other extraneous factors are leading to their struggles. Not every student that is struggling with retention is because of academic reasons alone.

What I learned is that students need to feel valued and not just a number. They need staff that cares about their situation and needs. Be able to find them resources and devote extra time to help them achieve success.

I've learned that external responsibilities, like work and family obligations, significantly impact adult learners, retention. While we can't remove these responsibilities, I've discovered that teaching them valuable problem-solving skills and a positive attitude can help them manage these demands more effectively. 

I learned it can very complex as adult students. As instructors, we need to understand the barriers for those adult students as well. 

I have learned that students go through different challenges and I should be able to adjust to each one of them. Patience comes a long way.

We as instructions need to understand different factors that help with student retentions and the will to stay in the classroom. I have students who feel intimated by other students knowledge and I always tell the new students to never feel initimated by someone's knowledge, they are just in the program a bit longer, but never fear, you will get there just like everyone else. 

We need to make sure everyone feels safe and secure and the student understands that they can always come and talk to us and we will never judge them. To help students retain information we need to make the class interactive and fun. 

I use Kahoots, projects to help them retain information and I use the ranch days where they get hands on learning. 

Hello,

Student retention is one of the most important parts of being a student. Our students will not learn if they are not present. As an instructor we need to have an open ear and understanding of the different obstacles that can arise. Effective communication and outside resources can help with students going through rough times.

Treating students as valued adults, and helping them address any real world outside issues, will help them follow through on their school path to success

Adult learners are valuable and their retention is lower due to various factors. As educators, we must address their academic and non-academic needs to help them succeed.

I see a lot of issues with my students missing class due to family/work problems. I just try to help the students stay on track the best I can. I also try to help them keep there focus on the end result. 

What I have learned is that many things cause an adult learner to not finish school. The common issues are children, jobs, aging parents, and not having the time to complete the courses. Coming up with resources for adult students would be very beneficial to helping adult students finish. 

I see that students have not only their own commitments but also sometimes have aging parents, grandchildren they are raising and it becomes a lot for them.  I agree that helping them to eliminate barriers and being accessible to them is essential for the student to be successful.

I have learned that student retention is extremely important as well as releasing the barriers that we may have in place.

I will make sure that I am encouraging every student and treating them as an individual instead of as a combine class. Encourage rhetorical questions and allow them to speak and convey their thoughts.

Hello I'm Ashley and, what I've encountered first hand and learned in this course is the adversity that adult faces determines their livelihoods. As they are furthering their education to better themeselves they still have real life situations that could affect student retention . Some are on the fence and gain new worries and anxiety with wanting and trying to complete school or paying their bills. It is important to  exercise and develop resources so that student can be successful by any means .As intructors we must empathize but remain assertive .

I have learned that adult learners have peculiar characteristics and several factors come into play that hinder them from remaining in school. As an educator, I can help address some of these challenges.

I that teachers need to help with any tyoe of baarriers that the student's have.  We need to have open communication with them.  It is important to help them be able to suceed.  I always tell my clinical students if they are having any issues please let me know.  Week 5 of a 12 week term can be to late.

Sign In to comment