Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

remove barrier is really important

It's important as educators to understand both academic and non-academic barries to students retention. Increasing students retention is  the goal of our organization. The more we assist the students in a collaborative fashion the more the student will feel cared for and will always want to stay in the organization were they feel individuals care for them. 

When students seem to be having difficulties, we need to consider all the factors that could be affecting theri outcome. They might be dealing with a combination of personal, situational, institutional barriesr or a combination of all. I will try to assess each student and make sure to work with student affairs, financial aid and business office departments to support the student. 

Seth

Learned that ""A low retention rate wastes resources and human talent. The goal of every educational institution is to increase retention for the benefit of all concerned.""

Hello, I will ensure I am aware of the barriers.

I learned you need to teach to the audience.  Knowing their motivation makes a difference in teaching style.

One issue I noticed is age differences in a classroom can cause learning barriers.  This is most of the students are young and one student is much older.

It is important to consider these factors. 

Retention is key to learning.

Adult and younger student do learn differently and we need to make sure we everything in our power to we eliminate barriers that can hinder the adult student.

It is very apparent with most adult learners that situational factors are a huge area that contributes to success and retention. 

Knowing if a student has a family and needs to work outside of school is important.  We need to know what situational factors exist with all students.

Learning the specifics of adult learners and how to identify any barriers should help the instructor be aware. Adult learners do differ from the younger generation, however they would be able to bring life experiences into play in the classroom environment. 

We need to understand that not all minds work the same. Some people need a little more time to comprehend the material. It falls on instructors to plan out a system that works for everyone to understand the assignments. Something as simple as a group activity or a fun game can be an easy way of teaching. Having everyone stand up and move around interacting with one another could be useful techniques as a learner as well as a teacher. 

Instructors should consider both academic and non-academic factors for student retentions.

Holding on to or retaining students through to the end of the course. Contractors receive the retained portion of their earnings once the job is completed and the customer is satisfied.

As instructors we need to understand the outside factors that can be challenging to our students to better support and and assist. 

Considering the students entire background and current lifestyle will help enable the student to succeed. 

Our students should be our purpose, and we must understand our purpose.

I have and still continue to learn from "the stories gone bad" whether for their length, ineffectiveness, or irrelevance. I do and have always been discerning about how I frame my stories and quite successfully so. 

I learned that our adult learners have life outside of school, so we have to be stern on attendance but also empathic enough to know that things happen.

We should also suggest students try to remove any obstacles that would hinder them from the course they started.

Sign In to comment