Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Its job #1 to show passion and enthusiasm as an instructor. It helps students believe in themselves and is reassuring to the process.

GORDON,
Good point because this is how we are able to engage and keep the interest of our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

CHRISTOPHER,
You got that right and we need to bring both each time we step into a teaching situation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

An instructor's enthusiasm greatly impacts student retention. If the student can feel that their instructor is emotionally committed to the material and their learning – they will pay more attention, retain more of the material and enjoy the course. If the instructor appears apathetic or disinterested in the material the students will very shortly adopt his perspective.
Especially with adult students - if the instructor cannot convey an enthusiasm for the material – the adult students will very quickly tune him out.

Michael,
Passion for one's field and enthusiasm for teaching about it are two essential elements needed for teaching/learning success. As you know from your experience when both of these are present then excitement follows with the students. They enjoy being around a learning leader that cares them and how they are growing in their knowledge and skills.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach one of the very first classes a student will experience in our college, which has the potential to set the tone for their entire program. My approach to teaching this particular course is a mix of enthusiasm, compassion, and humor. I also ensure students understand that no matter what, at any time during their journey with us, they can always come to me with questions, guidance, or help, even if it's months or a year from our class time.

I am very passionate and enthusiastic about my subject and that comes out in every class but when I started out I sometimes had trouble connecting with students who didn't share that enthusiasm and asked themselves "if I'm not crazy about this subject the way he is then maybe I'm in the wrong class." I had to accept that some people will never love my subject as much as I do, and then learn to spot those students and convince them that they could learn from me even if they would never share my enthusiasm.

IF the instructor isn't enthusiastic about their field students may start to think that it was a bad choice and may drop. Some instructors don't understand that their behavior is so important to these students.

Dawn,
The three words you use to describe how you share course content are right on in terms of helping students to stay engaged in the course. When you show compassion, introduce humor and are enthusiastic you have created the formula for learning success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Tom,
Your last sentence says a lot about what we have to do as instructors. I like you love my field and can't imagine that everyone else doesn't love it as much as I do but the facts are they don't. So it is a selling job to get them to value the content that is being shared so they can move closer to their career goals and realize that this course is just one of the steps.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If an instructor is enthusiastic about the class and class material it will reflect in a positive manner to the students. Instructors who are engaged, excited and passionate will make the class fun and interesting for the students, thus they will want to be there and get the most out of the classroom experience.

Jessica,
Well said because when an instructor has the characteristics you mention in your comments then you have a learning leader that students will respect and want to engage with.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

hi

I enjoy the field that I teach and I'm thrilled to share the fulfillment that receive when a job it completed in a professional manner.

Happiness is contagious, I believe.

KENNETH,
You are right about happiness spreading to students. You bring passion for your field to the class and show them you are excited about teaching your content and they will get excited as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students look closely at their instructors. They want to be sure that the instructor is knowledgeable in his area and demonstrates self confidence in his presentations.
An instructor should never "make up" answers to questions that he does not know the answer to. It's okay to say "I don't know" or "I am not positive", but add "I will check and get back to you" An instructor should never get caught in a lie. Tell them the truth. This makes the students realize that the instructor is a human being, who can make mistakes, but is willing to go out and get the information for the students.
this shows the students that you are caring about the subject matter and encourages them to act the same way as you.

Jenaro,
Good advice for instructors to follow. By following your suggestions instructors will be comfortable in front of the students as they respond to questions and move the course forward.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the first things that I will let my students know is that I am here because I want to be here. That I enjoy what I am doing and that I get pleasure out of passing my knowledge onto others. I believe that this can give the student the idea/feeling that I am there for them and that I will do what ever it make take to help them accomplish there goals, and that together we can make learning enjoyable.

Students tend to latch on to the enthusiasm generated by the instructor. Many want to share experiences and participate in class discussions, when they see their example that is relative to their instruction.

Also, these students tend to communicate questions, and concerns to the instructor outside of the classroom, because they have a magnetic attraction for communication with the enthusiastic instructor.

Rita

Students feed off of the instructor vibes.

DANIEL,
This is a big selling point to students. If they know you are passionate about your field and excited about teaching the content in it then you are setting the stage for excitement on the part of your students and expanding their learning opportunities.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment