Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult Learning Explained | Origin: ED208

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Adult Learning Theories --> Adult Learning Explained

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I will incorporate activities that allow for the students to apply information from previous life experiences, problem solving with application of newly learned information, self evaluation of learned informaton and for them to participate in the learning process

Make maximum use of their skills, knowledge and experience. Interaction and practical application is crucial!  

i will utilize each and everyones diffrent experiences and incorporate in the learning process.

It is important to keep not just the material in mind, but the "why" behind the material in mind. Adult learners already have a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on, so it is the educator's job to make the learning as experiential and applicable to to the student as possible. 

The class instructors need to incorporate different curriculum and activities to coincide with the adult learners experience and life set to better help them reach ther goals.

Yes, we have to teach and guide students in a non-threatening manner for them to learn better

I liked the point made about how students value self evaluation is a good assessment of learning.  Many students want to learn and see an industry standard that they want to achieve.  They are more likely to give a realistic assessment which helps them set personal goals if they are motivated to reach a specific benchmark and are made to look at where they need more practice and experience.

This module reminds me that adult learners, especially, need to know the reason for learning something.  They will be more motivated to learn if they understand the connection between what they are learning in a classroom and how they can use it in their lives/careers.  Carl Rogers theroy of experiential learning lends itself well to the professional program that I provide instruction for, because it is very focused on learning by doing.

The purposeful use of past skill to new learning opens the door to discovery of new methods not only of learning, but also in application.  Life experience do bring its own side of learning to any type of proccess.  It is imperative to be able to apply also new learning in order to improve on new experiences and life experience.  

Life experiences can help with learning and can give you a step up since you have experience but Carl Rogers theory is just as important.  Learning the hands-on approach can help those who feel they need the realistic experience. 

Both Knowles and Rogers pose important concepts regarding adult learning, particularly the non-threatening environment. It'd be intimidating returning to the educational system, starting from the bottom of something drastically unfamiliar (I've had my non-traditional students tell me as much). I'd like to observe my non-traditional students and see how many of Knowle's assumptions line up with their educational goals/motivations. I'm also interested in learning more about student self-assesment.

Adult students do not just do the owrk beciase they are told. They need buy in, or need to have a reason that this class matters for them. They are much more independant and if they are not internamlly motivcated, they will not exhiit that in a class setting either. This is nothing new to me in my teaching experience.

The adult learner comes in with a wealth of knowledge and experience that become resources to them and to other learners in their environment. They can apply their knowledge immediately and have a sense of  satisfaction and motivation. Getting to know the learner can help me adjust my teaching style to help connect with their learning style. 

Adults need to be involved in learning to be interested and motivated. I will have a more interactive classroom.

Adult learners have a deep reservoir of life experiences that serve as resources for learning. Also hands on approach helps maximum benefits could be achieved in a lab based setting.   

I find this section most beneficial and meaningful to me as the curricular philosophy and design that I have developed aligns with the theories of Knowles and Rogers. Problem-based, experiential learning not only is student-centered and student-driven, but increases engagement and buy-in. 

Adult learners need to be incharge of their learning.

Teaching adults is not the same as teachng children.

Having adult students control their own learning is very efficient. I believe that this is effective only if most of the adult students are at the same level of knowledge. There may be some adult students that could be slower than the others and need extra time. 

Sign In to comment