Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Emotional Intelligence: A Context | Origin: ED139

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Emotional Intelligence in Learning --> Emotional Intellegence: A Context

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

We as instructors should be masters in managing emotions. EI is controlling emotions or don't get angry in stressful situation. Instructors need to be an excellent decision maker, trust their intuition and having ability to look at a problem and calmly find a solution. Regardless of the stressful sitution , we can honestly reflect to ourselves, accepts constructive criticism and use it to improve performance.

Especially in stressful times, like changes in how we associate with others to prevent spread of COVID-19 through 'social distancing,' it is critical to deliberately practice awareness of our own feelings and reach out - by whatever means available - to understand signals in others about how they might be dealing with the situation. We can help shape our own response by taking time to understand, to reflect on positive outcomes, and to help others shape logical paths to their own positive outcomes. It sounds like manipulation, but it's as simple as smiling at people, a positive response on our part, can help them smile back and feel much more positive. Routinely reflecting on our own responses, like this very exercise, creates a cognitive habit of building self-awareness. I can apply this to all interactions, not just in learning management, but in everyday greeting the mail carrier, the neighbor walking their dog, in calls with family and coworkers, and in artistic hobbies that support emotional catharsis in others. 

EI is impacting on studentsucess in srtresful movements or enudrance required tasks.

Emotional Intelligence are fairly new term but have been around for long time as we human being have been dealing with our own and others' intellignce and wellbeing. Now as we can learn about our students' level of emotion and how they can handle or/and manage their personal situation and manage their emotion we can adjust our (teahers) learning patterns which can be at a level undetstanding for everyone

Reply to Elizabeth Rodriguez's post: I totally agree with you here Elizabeth and just to add my thoughts to your wonderful post, we as teachers must develop emotional intelligence in order to understand our students and their level of emotion.

The course thus far has reaffirmed my belief in the fact that, as educators, we have a responsibility to be self-aware and empathetic. However, administrators play a direct role in this. The move to online learning has been extremely difficult for students of all ages and instructors of all experience levels. Many institutions were scrambling to find the right software with which to deliver instruction. However, they should have also been working just as diligently to ensure instructors had the tools needed to increase their self-efficacy. The increased confidence in one's ability to effectively teach in the online format helps to relieve the stress associated with uncertainty. In turn, educators are able to better focus on the needs of their students and exercise the emotional intelligence discussed in this unit. 

Just this year I have started in a new capacity in our school specifically focusing on SEL and the Arts (SEAL). This information so far has really encouraged me and actually started to give me more direction in what I would like to be accomplishing with those students. There is also a lot of carry over in how I would like to talk to the teachers in the building about how they are approaching students. I see a possible PD for the staff being very beneficial!

Instructors need to be able to manage emotions

Educators must keep the slef awareness to maintaint teh emotional intelligence

Teachers must account for their students emotional intelligence and match their teaching methods to accomodate them to ensure learning success. 

The responsibility of the instructors,  regardless of education level or age of the student, is to create learning environments within which various intelligences can develop, including emotional intelligence.

Emotional intelligence is important for student's academic success and adult social interactions. 

Emotional Intelligence is important in also aspects of life. Being to recognize control your emotions is very important.

“EI” is a self awareness of ones emotions, be it the student or the instructor. It is in fact, thinking about thinking before speaking or acting. What comes into play here is certain social skills that helps you interact correctly with each other. It can be as simple as smiling at someone, & they will smile back. This sets the stage for a positive learning environment.

Professionalism is no one being able to tell the differernce between you having a good day and you having a bad day.

I have learned that EI can play a major role in academic learning.  I will try to set the tone for the class to hopefully encourage a positive emotion which would promote a good learning experience.

I have had a lot of issues with EQ with my younger students and it seems reasonable that a lot of this stems from technology

How one feels has an effect on how they learn, their focus, their attention, their ability to digest and process.

How emotional intelligence serves in learning, one's attention, and their ability to process information. It is important to regulate and understand our emotional processes to be able to better serve the classroom. 

Sign In to comment