Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Problem Solving Steps | Origin: ED116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Critical Thinking Processes and Applications --> Problem Solving Steps

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Decision dependent problem solvers are very concerned about how the decision they make will impact others but decision independent thinkers make decisions without regard to what the consequences of their decisions might be on anyone

Evaluation of results is like reflection after an excersize... it helps us or students improve overall problem solving skills. 

Evaluation helps with future decision making projects. Evaluation is needed to help access the problem-solving method and the students ability to do so.

This module provided a clear, step-by-step process for problem solving.  1) Define the problem, which requires research to determine the scope of the problem and whether or not it can be resolved; 2) Compile potential solutions, which also requires research, and then determining the most appropriate solution, given the various variables and constraints that will impact the situation;  3) Develop a plan of action - determine what the intervention will be, and then 4) Evaluate the results.  As an instructor, I can assist my students through all of these steps to come up with an effective solution.  I think students often become overwhelmed with problem-solving because they don't know where to start.  Taking a step-by-step approach will show them how to reach a solution to the problem methodically and over time.

It is better not to push the students to be an extreme decision dependent or decision independent thinker. As educators, we must facilitate critical thinking, clinical judgment and problem solving skills in the student, by providing opportunities, refining and developing their expertise.

Although somewhat intuitive, I like to analyze the problem solving process beginning with defining the problem, then researching  and coming up iwth possible solutions. Coming up with an action plan becomes easier if we start with the first 3 steps. And, to determine effictiveness, it is alwasy wise to evaluate the results or solutions implemented. 

The breakdown of the problem solving process was very informative. In one of my courses, I specifically cover creative problem solving, however, its not nearly as extensive as posed in the module. I'm definitely interested in covering and implementing the general steps to creative problem solving and the questions listed in the modules. I think it will help my students think more in-depth about design problems, and create unique solutions.

Evaluation helps with future decision making projects. Evaluation is needed to help access the problem-solving method and the students ability to do so.

I've noticed that there is a tremendous overlap in the critical thinking process and that for conflict resolution.  It will definitely help in leading into the topic of conflict resolution from critical thinking. 

Problem-solving is obtained with a methodical approach.

Sometimes I an the Systematic Problem Solver and other times I am the Intuitive Problem Solver. 

Sometimes, it is more beneficial to analyze the process of how you got the final answer to solve the problem than the actual answer itself.

Evaluation of solving former problems may help you in future instances 

Teaching Student how to use problems soving steps will help the student Crital thinking in the long run.

Problem solving needs to be based in realistic parameters. Take a good look at data, think through the solution and ask questions about the solution

I appreciate the insight into analytical steps and examples to implement the problem solving process. 

The following excerpt is most impactful for me. "The end result needs to be the solving of the problem within the parameters of reality, personnel, and economic outcomes."

Evaluating the problem-solving process and the outcomes will help improve your problem-solving approach.

The first step in resolving a problem is actually defining what the problem is.

Sign In to comment