Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alternative Assessments for Students | Origin: ED136

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Assessment Alternatives for Instructors --> Alternative Assessments for Students

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

This module has helped me get a better understanding of rubrics.  I guess I have needed to see them thirty times to come to an understanding  and the idea of verbs. I believe this will help rewrite our practical exams so there is less instructor interpretation. 

I appreciated the information about Fink's Taxanomy.  Bloom's taxonomy is often noted, but I like the additional human/student-focused elements of Fink's Taxonomy that teach students self-awareness, which further enhances the learning process.

this will hepl me to use practical exams for students to enhance learning

developing rubrics will help students meet their objectives.

I appreciate the review of verbs used in taxonomy. This is helpful for me in writing objectives and desired outcomes. I need to work on developing rubrics that can be an objective, useful tool for assessment.

I really liked the inclusion of the analytical and holistic rubrics. There's so much to consider when students work on a project, and having a guide for them and for instructor's is super helpful. I'll be working on including both analytical and holisitc rubrics for my traditional and authentic assessments!

The use of well-written rubrics can help turn what can often be subjective scoring into more objective scoring, which is fairer to the students. In addition, it gives the students a clear indication of what is expected of them and what they can expect to learn. Descriptive verbs used in well-considered objectives can help teachers bring students to deeper levels of understanding.

From this module, I have reviewed Bloom and Fink's Taxonomy and I can see how I can apply these taxonomy to my class when implementing the assessment for the students.

I found the discussion on the various taxonomies to be interesting.

After reviewing this module, I reflected on my current assessment activity for some senior leaders.  I realized that I should provide a rubric to assist them in crafting their communication strategy.  They are very knowledgable, but very busy...by providing them with a framework to assess their own strategies I can reduce their time spent developing the strategy and provide them criteria for their own self-assessment.

I have learned how important rubrics are and how they can help students ability to reach the goal.

I like the idea of the rubric for grading and setting the standard for testing. It sets clear expectations for the students and then there is no guessing at the end of the authentic test.

Alternative Assessments  prepare students better for real life situations

I have learned that developing rubric will really help students what areas a student is great at and where a student needs to improve on. 

After reviewing this section, I have learned a lot about Fink's Taxonomy. This will be very useful when it comes time to assess the students.

This module clearly outlined the importance and impact of a well-constructed grading rubric. This module reiterated that rubrics are great assessment tools and help provide students with clear and transparent expectations and feedback regarding their work, ensuring consistency and objectivity from the instructor. Using a rubric for students to self-evaluate allows them to take ownership of their learning, evaluate areas for improvement, and recognize successes. Rubrics are also great for helping students set goals for their coursework and implement steps to achieve or exceed those goals. 

Sign In to comment