Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What Is Assessment | Origin: ED136

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Assessment Alternatives for Instructors --> Introduction to Learning Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Better defining objectives.

Good morning:

We have been moving forward to using more of the authentic learntic learning in the program, but we still need test-taking and traditional learning for the license students

I believe career teaching and learning lends itself to providing more authentic assessments.  In the career training/profession which I teach, we have a clear set of outcomes that are required to be met by a national accrediting body to prepare students to take and successfully pass a national certification exam.  Because of this, we can develop assessments and instruction to ensure that our students can demonstrate the skills necessary to enter the profession.

using more test questions and different kinds of assessment to evaluate progres of students

Assessment is helpful to tract the student's progress

Authenic assessment is good providing the feedback.

Excellent module. Authentic assessments are more appropriate for CTE as we are preparing students to develop real-world skills that can be used in the job market. Also, starting with the outcomes and working backwards makes total sense. The assessment should indeed drive the instruction. 

Really enjoyed the different types of assessment modules that can be used for evaluating for the desired outcomes. 

Both tend to apply in the field that I teach in, but more so the alternative assessments as it involves real world applications. 

Assessments can evaluate a student's progress and should be done frequently in many forms.

I learned quite a bit from the developing assesments section, and I'm pleased to know I incorporate quite a bit of authentic/alternative assesments in my courses. I include some traditional assesments of course, but they're rarely the primary focus. I definitely focus on skill application in a meaningful way. That's more relevant to my field, so it works out very well!

Assessment should be a means to evaluate whether studens have learned the course objectives and, most importantly, if they can do after instruction. I intend to determine assessments BEFORE instruction to better teach the content. My big takeway is that authentic assessments drive the curriculum.

I need to include more formative assessments in my courses in addition to the summative assessments I currently rely on. This will give me more real-time progress on my students' areas of strength and weakness, which allows me to reinforce concepts that they are struggling with. Part of my implementation will simply be asking more open-ended questions more frequently. 

In this module, I learn the distinct definition of "objectives" and "outcomes". I also learn that the authentic assessment is an ideal assessment for the career developing course.

Good alternatives to consider.

To me, an assessment could be a comparison between how I am teaching a subject to what the student is learning from my method of instruction.

Since everyone learns differently, I believe I should develop several ways to teach the same material.

This is my first time reading about "formative" and "summative" assessments. I utilize them but I didn't know the official names. 

I've been using authentic assessment for years and didn't know it. That is a new term for me

I really liked the layout of explaining objectives versus outcomes...this topic was always pretty nebulous in our organization.  The explanation of the difference between the two was very helpful.  It is important that both the instructor and the student have a clear understanding of the differences as the student experiences the content.  I will reference this chart as I develop new courses in our organization.

How important tracking students progress and what they are learning.

Sign In to comment