Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would have loved to have gone through this module my first year of teaching! The English language learners section is particularly helpful, and I really like that the strategies included the bullet about not assuming that their lack of language ability doesn't mean they lack in learning or concept development. I learned its all about being creative and supportive to help students of all abilities succeed and progress.

I would have loved to have gone through this module my first year of teaching! The English language learners section is particularly helpful, and I really like that the strategies included the bullet about not assuming that their lack of language ability doesn't mean they lack in learning or concept development. I learned its all about being creative and supportive to help students of all abilities succeed and progress.

I learned strategies and effective methods to teach ELL students

We have to adjust how we interact and teach students with disabilities.  We need to recognize and adjust the lesson plans in order to assist in facilitating their learning.  it will take some time to develop that knowledge and build a better teaching style to include all students with disabilities.

Instructing Diverse Learners:

This section was very interesting on how it was broke down. I have experienced different types of learners, but only a very small number of learners that are using English as their learning language aside from their native language. Take a-ways from this class for me are:

Students bring 3 things that influence their potential for success.

1. Ability: The types are Genetics, & Developed.
  2. Previous experience: Can be positive & negative, built from & used as a self assessment.
  3. Motivation: To reach self-set goals, & is a powerful source. Give examples of the “end Game”

There are 3 types of students: We tend to focus on Star & low performers, & need to not forget about our average students.

• Star students.
  • Average students
  • Low performers

Students with reading or writing deficiencies can be for different reasons, one such reason is a student using English as their learning language, when it is not their native language.  Things that I took away from this to be used in such situations are:

• Present in basic terms.
  • Be as clear as possible & make sure they are clear.
  • Keep concepts simple.
  • Start with vocabulary words & definitions, & then work the words into applications. Then using the words.
  • Use visuals.
  • Learn a few words from their native language so they feel you are engaged “with” them.
  • Be fair yet consistent with the whole class.

Assisting students with ELL takes patience and persistence. The end result should be a promising motivated student accomplished student and instructor!

Great information regarding ELL students.  I now have better knowledeg to know how to help these students.

I have found language to be a barrier. I don't mean different language , but different termiinology used for the same things whther it be task, machinery, or parts and pieces. I find myself having to stop and explain terms that are unfamiliar to my students all the time.

Each larger has their own set of unique learning skills, strengths and abilities along with weaknesses. Using a diverse approach to learning will enhance the learning experience. 

I have learned how to apply various methods to help students better understand the material being presented. Especially with those that may not have English as their primary language.

Being reminded of the three aspects of memory is helpful and how students use them. In addition, being able to have shorter assignment segments can be beneficial.

Approach learning from different perpectives, without instructional supports many learners are not going to be successful. Instructional supports are simple to provide and are of great help to such students

Special assistance is needed for students who are learning a new skill(s) while learning how to speak, read & comprehend the English language. That has to be a challenge. 

It is important to monitor students to ensure they are following along with the cirriculm.

I learned to to try and lump students together because the classroom could be diverse.  People come from all backgrounds and may have deficiencies.

In reading them the structured outline, or "Course Syllabus," it helps many students to understand what the expectations of the class will be. This is sort of their road map in terms of how to navigate the class in particular and then they can look back at the end to see how successful they were in gaining the key concepts listed. I also encourage them to ask questions daily and remind them that if they are seeing this information for the first time, somebody else is also. Sometimes it takes a courageous person to ask the tough questions.

This module has raised my awareness of how to be an effective instructor for students with reading and language deficits.  

The instructional supports and especially an outline is something I plan to use.

This section has provided insight on how to interact with students who have literary deficiencies. Additionally, it addresses tactics to help students whose second language is English. Through repetition, simplicity and frequent assessment you can help to expedite progress in an effective manner.

Create the clear picture. Learning a word in more than one way to help memory.

Sign In to comment