Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many of my students struggle with spelling, reading and writing; and often, Culinary topics/techniques/equipment have French names which can seem overwhelming.  These French words like "mise en place" are an industry standard, so they need to learn these terms and how to use them when speaking in their work environment.  I agree that repetition is crucial in helping students overcome their fear of speaking a different language and start to use those words with more confidence and understanding.  Giving concrete examples and using the words in a variety of contexts is key. 

I always enjoy learning about teaching techniques to ensure all students receive a quality experience. Instructing diverse learners means adapting teaching strategies and approaches to meet student's unique needs and abilities, especially those with diverse backgrounds and language barriers. 

keep groups diverse.

Repetition, repetition, repetition!!!!!

Helping diverse learners will help them to have more structural outline to help them to better understand. 

Assign small or short projects to ensure they're all understanding.

In that course I learned about the challenges that some students might have and how to help them to overcome those and get a career in the field of their choice.

It is important as an instructor to understand that each the success of each student will be influenced by the following: genetic and learned abilities, previous life experiences, and their personal motivation for the chosen field. Student's will learning disabilities and challenges require support for best learning practices. There are an array of strategies the instructor can utilize to ensure the success of a student with learning disabilities or challenges. 

Repetition of new terms is crucial to learning and retaining content vocabulary.  Using newly acquired terms in written and oral expression is an effective method of assessing a student's vocabulary acquirement. When I am introducing new vocabulary words to my students, I pronounce the word, they repeat the word aloud, then they write the word.  As a result, they see the word, hear the word, say the word, and write the word.

How to help and understand students with language barriers

Sign In to comment