Developing as an Instructor | Origin: ED101
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Effective Teaching Strategies --> Developing as an Instructor
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
How take the knowledge and skills obtained throughout my career and apply it in an instructor setting to empower, guide, and instruct future Healthcare professionals.
"The Best Way To Find Yourself Is To Lose Yourself In The Service of Others". - Mahatma Ghandi
I have learned that becoming an effective educator is a science. It's much more than knowing the subject matter; it involves becoming a counselor, a manager, a motivator, and more. It is a journey, and there are tools to improve my ability to educate students.
I learned the difference in being an instructor and being someone who knows how to do the trade. Although I've learned, developed, and worked in my skill, teaching someone else the proper way to succeed will be different than what I've experienced thus far. Something that will stick with me is " Don't say that you're the smartest in the room because there's always someone smarter".
Modeling appropriate behaviors as an instructor can have a significant impact on students' lives. Being punctual, maintaining good hygiene, and using appropriate language are examples of behaviors that students can learn from their instructors and apply as they prepare to become successful workers in the future. To motivate students, instructors should be prepared, present, and available to allow time for questions and answers. By consistently demonstrating professionalism and positive behaviors, instructors can serve as strong role models and help students develop skills that will benefit them in the workplace.
I learned that being a good instructor means continuing to learn and improve. I can use feedback from my students and coworkers to become a better teacher and make sure my students understand the material.
I have learned that I should always expand on my teaching skills and adapt to my class. I also learned that being prepared for the content and to greet the classroom on time are ways to show professionalism and have the class respect you.
I have learned that as an instructor you must always continue to develop new learning skills
This module detailed the importance of the three (3) roles instructors have to assume: model, manager, and motivator. In addition, it is crucial for instructors to continue improving their skills by staying current in their field, by developing a professional growth plan, and in teaching assessments. We are fortunate to have resources available to us from virtually anywhere.
Going through this module, there are a few things that stood out to me. First was the continuous improvement for self-development, which seems to go unrealized until you start to self-critique yourself and your teaching style. This lays your deficiencies out and allows you to work on them.
Another aspect I believe is the development of your abilities to read the room. You must develop not just your technical skill and knowledge but your personal skills as well. You should ideally be able to identify how to approach the subject, teach it to the students and then be able to review and revise with each class taught.
One thing I learned from this topic is that becoming an effective instructor is an ongoing process. Having knowledge and experience in a field is important, but being able to communicate that knowledge clearly and adapt to different learning styles is just as important. As a new instructor, I know that I will continue developing my teaching skills through experience, feedback, and reflection.
I plan to apply this by creating an environment where students feel comfortable asking questions and participating in discussions. Since I will be teaching MRI, I also want to connect classroom concepts to real clinical situations whenever possible. I believe sharing practical examples from my experience as an MRI technologist can help students understand why the material matters and how they will use it in their careers. I also plan to remain open to feedback from both students and other instructors so I can continue improving my teaching approach.
I've learned to model to my students the behaviors that I expect them to demonstrate both in the classroom, and in the workforce. To always look for ways to improve my teaching capabilities to ensure that my students are receiving the best information possible throughout my classes.
You have to practice what you preach; When following this general rule you are gaining credibility and showing commitment to your students.
I plan to demonstrate the expectations with my own personal actions as people tend to learn from example.
Modeling what you expect out of the students is key for a healthy classroom environment. My professionalism will set the tone for them to understand my expectations and have them naturally follow them. I am putting out what I expect to receive.
As a Pharmacy Technician Instructor and Extern Coordinator, I believe modeling professionalism is one of the most important ways to prepare students for success in the healthcare field. Professionalism goes beyond teaching course content; it involves demonstrating the behaviors and attitudes expected in the workplace. I strive to be punctual, prepared, respectful, and accountable in all interactions with students, faculty, and externship partners. By consistently meeting expectations and maintaining a positive attitude, I can set an example for students to follow.
In addition, I model professionalism by communicating clearly, treating everyone with respect, adhering to policies and ethical standards, and taking responsibility for my actions. When challenges arise, I demonstrate how to handle them professionally and constructively. By creating a supportive and professional learning environment, I help students understand the importance of these behaviors and encourage them to carry these same standards into their externships and future pharmacy technician careers.
This course gave me some more insight into how the students view me and my role here and some insight to the inner workings such as how curriculum are designed and the clear differentiation of instructing vs merely presenting information.
I learned that as a instructor I am the example to which the students should strive to become I must be effective, committed, dedicated, compassionate, credible and so much more. My goal is that my students not only enjoy learning but also constantly seek to improve and excell in both the field and in life its self. if my students succeed so have I as their instructor.
I have been given options for making personal and professional growth possible. i look forward to continuing education and competency.
What i learned is there are different styles of teaching. Your personality plays a big role, but also how you can effectively teach small groups and keeping them engaged. I also learned that professionalism starts within me. How i dress, speak, handle myself in all situations.