Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Be more positive in my approach

Hi Cynthia!

I like this! I bet their are some other things that you can think of doing as well! How about sharing some of those as well.

thanks and keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

One idea to help students increase learning attention, is to highlight ideas with attention-getting visuals on flip chart sheets. These flip charts can be used in conjunction with PowerPoint slides or learning team activities to emphasize key points.

Students are likely to better remember concepts with the information is organized, or 'chunked', in a meaningful way. One approach that ties into the attention-getting visual concept is to group ideas by color and use color associations to help participants remember.

Hi
For me to maximize retention of memory is to use the visual technique, demonstration and power point before.

Eric Andre

Even after years of teaching I must remind myself to ensure last class reviews and end with a review of the day. I also understand how our present curriculum focuses well on the end result but I will focus once more one-on-one coaching to encourage success for all students. I'll also use colored paper where appropriate.

yes, i used to not word things positively, but now I try to word things positivly.

I have learned several new concepts from this module. Primacy and the Pygmalion effect are concepts which I am now aware of. I will instruct courses with the realization of these concepts.

show the students the final product and then show then how to obtain it

Primacy and Recency make sense to me. I will be more aware of how I handle activities and content material at the beginning and ends of class time. I can make a more concerted effort to help my students retain material in this way.

I think that I already knew about Primacy and Recency, but did not have the language. When I start my classes, I try to focus in on important and difficult material then I use backwards sequencing to unwind the concepts. However, I'm not always intentional in the use of these memory enhancing skills.

Hi Aaron!

A strategy that I use is teaching blocks of information, review, repeat. Then I move to the next block then at the end of the class we do a quick review of all the material as well as a brief review at beginning of next class.

I give the students in my class a review sheet that they build on from one week to the next. This has been very useful for students because at the end of the course, it becomes the study guide for their final. This is also the guide for the review at beginning of each class.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 facilitator

I think my biggest change will be to focus more on debriefing and review, especially a next day review. My classes build upon each other, so that should result in the biggest improvement where learning is concerned.

In the future I will use a technique called “feed the eyes”. I will write partial material on the white board and allow the students to supply the missing letters or words. As I cover each subject I’ve written down, I will finish the statement. I plan to use handouts with partial answers and page references to allow the students to continue reinforcing the learning during breaks and quiet times. I will retrieve them during the last break for a grade and return a corrected to each student for a study reference as the leave class for the day.

I usually highlight my learning objectives at the beginning of class. However, I will spend more time relating them to the learning activities that will take place in the lesson.

Secondly, I do not spend much time debriefing and reviewing the concepts but I will change this and develop more questions after the lesson to improve the retention of the content.

I always make a point to tell my students to prepare for success. I believe I can help with wording my presentations with confidence building phrases as well. Thanks for the positive spin.

I will keep trying to be positive and assume that every student is a star student. I will really try harder than I already do to reach out to those that see themselves as under achievers. Treating all students like they ar the best students is my goal, and hopefully the scores in my class will reflect that this strategy is working.

It seems that the backwards chaining method can be very valuable in a technical class such as in studying contextual criticism in art. It may be best to present a complex concept(such as a historical movement or era)as encapsulated in an artwork and move to explore from there. Great suggestion!

I will show an entire procedure in lab and then go back to break the steps down with the explanation of why we do it this way.

I find that repetion is often needed for students that have a hard time retaining information. Also the learner learns what he creates so projects related to course study are just whats needed, along with a stimulating environment.

Hi Janine!

Teach, repeat, practice - repeat and practice some more. Not a better way to learn!

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 facilitator

Hi John!

I couldn't agree more unless I added instilling a love for learning!

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Sign In to comment