Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

After completing this section I find myself paying more attention to how I work things to my students, I thought I was giving my students good positive cues but now I need to re-evaluate my verbiage.

After completing this section I find myself paying more attention to how I work things to my students, I thought I was giving my students good positive cues but now I need to re-evaluate my verbiage.

I will use a short ten or fifteen minute lecture period at the beginning of each lab session to go over any problem or trouble areas.

Hi first thing I do is make sure I have there undivided attention and get them ready for class and let them know how impportant there learnning is and me as an instructor making sure they pay attention and understand not only the lecture but why and how it works it keeps students intrested.

I teach technicial information. I like to use diagrams as handouts. I am going to try handing out a simple diagram and let the student draw in the details as we discuss them. When the session is over they will have great notes and a visual picture to help them retain the concept.

Pneumatics have always worked for me.

At the start of class and all through out the class you must let the students know what and were their resources are and how the resources will help them remember what they need to know.

I will think about what I am going to talk about for that day and and make sure it is the right and aproiate material.

In the classroom you have a mix of students. Those who are excited and eager to learn. Those who have some what of an interest in learning and those who are in class simply to get their parents off their back. The ones who are not really interested in learning seem to learn and retain more through memory. It is a useful tool to reach those who are not interested in what you are teaching.

Good point Bruce!

Jane Davis
Ed107 Facilitator

I'm thinking of using Backward Chaining. When the students take a test and see the end before the beginning, I can see where this can relieve alot of pressure (stress). I'm going to implement this on my next test. I'll offer it as an option and see the results. Thanks for some great ideas. You have opened my eyes to some new techniques.

We have one very tough subject in a class that I teach. I do a review at the class end, usually the next day, by playing a bingo game. I give the students little chocolate kisses to use as game pieces and the winners would get candy bars (a reward for participation). The students are not allowed to use their books, so you see a lot of interaction between them to come up with the answers so they can win. They don't even realize that the game is a study guide for the test. Scores improved 25-30% using this method.

Hi Eric!

I like your approach! I always use an interactive activity in preparation for exams/tests. And - you are absolutely corrrect -student tests scores improve significantly.

I like your reward system. We have a State lottery, so I will purchase dollar scratchers for the winning team and that is very exciting - the losing team always get something as well. It is amazing how students want to have competitive study with the request of winning team getting lottery tickets.

This works well when you don't have a very large class as it could get expensive.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

i like to ask questions that require simple answers but yet help retain the knowledge

Good morning Timothy!

Questions that help students retain what they have learned is very important. I do think - however, that students should be able to have questions that provide more than simple answers occasionally. This is a great group project for students to come up with questions and make it a challenge between other groups.

I am always amazed at how questions developed by students can be so complex. Critical thinking is important for studens' academic and personl growth.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I divide the class into 2 groups a have them come up with 20 questions each regarding the most recent lecture. We then have each group ask thier question to the other group. The winning group is rewarded with not have to clean the lab (whice includes waxing the cars and mopping the floors.

You cannot expect them to learn if they are mentally asleep. You have you have to gain their interest and keep it while still getting the information out. The more interesting and mentally stimulating the presentation the more active the memory centers become. By keeping the student actively involved in the learning process retention improves.

I think that by using questions that will require some memory recallection; I will be able to be more specific and ask questions that require the students to remember what we covered.

I like the "Big Picture" concept. We do so many things in baby steps it's easy to lose sight of the big picture. I use revelant material from trade magazines in opening discussions to gain interest and ask students to "give the article a look sometime during class today". My thought is to get them more involved with the industry (Big Picture) and possibly see themselves in the picture.

In our class we use the crawl, walk, run method. Students have to understand the basics before practical application.

Sign In to comment