Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have had to learn how to help sudents with language barriers it can be very difficult but it all comes down to choosing your words carefully

I will make sure the critical objectives are taught first and after returning from break. I will also use this when i conduct meetings.

I will try to use the memory methods to bring out what the students know to help build confidence

Learning is emotional. Instructors who practise Thorndike's six law of learning, minimize barriers and stimulate motivators should succeed in adult education.

I plan to use both visual stimulation and primacy in conjunction with a cartoon which illustrates the objectives of a course I teach on Law and Counterterrorism. I have always used the cartoon to disarm the students during my initial introductory comments, but I have not thought to use it to let students pick out the important elements related to law. I suspect this will amplify the positive educational aspects which that light moment has always brought to the start of the course.

Before taking this course, I had thought of myself as the type of instructor who chooses her words carefully and thinks before speaking to my students; however, I can easily see how my words influence students even more than I realized. I'm going to try to be even more careful about my word choices when conducting class sessions.

by rewording the powerpoint and simplifying and repetition

I agree. When the facial expressions of students from different cultural backgrounds tip you off that you just lost them, it is important to explain the concept in ways they can connect with.

I found the section on building retention very interesting and will definitely utilize the suggestions regarding primacy, recency, uniqueness, emotion, visual and information chunking to increase the students' learning retention.

Greetings Susan!

Would you please expound on your comment a little more? How do you think word choices influences students?

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

For learning retention at the end of each class I summarize in a "extra points" discussion for questions answered correctly.

More group activities

I will be more positive and encouraging in my statements. I will believe in every student equally in regard to expectations so that they WILL succeed.

I also agree to use words the student can understand so as to know the subject matter.

The balance of learner doing 80% and instructor telling 20% is what make my job so fun when I watch students practicing clinical skills with each other. I was reminded in this section that learning happen in the moment-especially with hands on skills-when students think about the procedure and WHY certain steps come in a certain order. This often becomes a group effort, a collaboration/partnership within the entire class.

I think that I shall pay more attention to the learning objectives.

Hi Richard!

When I was in college, I had an instructor who required us to purchase a small notebook and write those words down that we were not familiar with and to define them for future reference. At the end of the school year, we could earn extra credit if we followed her recommendation. I found this was very helpful in learning new words and especially those associated with course work. As a matter of fact, I continued this process throughout my college experience.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I am going to present the information in chunks, review more thoroughly what we did last, and outline today's objective more clearly, and have more fun.

Ellen, you are exactly right. When people can tie a concept with the practicing of that concept, learning is going to take place. And - it will be information that stays with us. I, too, enjoy watching the light come on for students as a grasp a concept.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

BRAVO! Mike

From this strategy, the differenct learning styles will grasp concept more easily and they WILL have fun!

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Sign In to comment