Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I don't know to what extent word choice is a challenge to most instructors but I find in my own case that thinking about this topic is the first step to my own ongoing learning and further appreciating the power of word choice. I actively try to gauge the responsiveness of my students as I lecture (sometimes, but not always, minute by minute). This sometimes alerts me to the need to "change it up" in style or tone, without necessarily altering the core content.

I use the backward chaining sometimes (I'm a visual learner I usually bring in lots of pictures or books to show them the current trends)& I will use it more often especcialy when I have product to show the students.Prehaps play more games suited to the class to assist the students with the materials they are learning & include some visuals, maps or pictures of the items they are producing. And of course always be postive with my responses first then get feedback from the students.

The idea of primacy was new to me. When teaching, I felt that I needed to "ease" my students into the subject and would start with more "fluff" type of topics. After completing this part of the class, I now realize that if I lead with the more important material, the students are more likely to remember it. Also, our students take a break every hour. Since the idea of primacy is reinstated after each break, I think that I'll do a quick review of all the important points covered before the break when they first return.

For Years I have been giving my students the most positive reinforcement possible. Mostly due to the fact that I know that with my ability to take the student and get 100% results. The only problem that keeps getting in the way is they want the results as early as possible. The students all, in the morning and evening courses, want me personally to teach them this task because of the predictable out come, and the level of expertize that they achieve. But they are impatiante, and ultimately come to realize, that this is a process and just simply trust in it,as they do me.

Understanding how and why the brain functions as it does will help me appeal to the way my students learn. They all learn and retain information in different ways at different rates. I will work to "tap into" the way individuals learn and retain information and use the memory research to achieve success. I will work to address retention to each individual and not just a one type "fits all" for the entire class as a whole.

In retrospect, I could have done more initial focusing on the primary topics in each day's class. A stronger opening on the major subject we are discussing and, afterwards, a clearer conclusion (enhancing recency) are good ideas. Both would probably make the topics stick better. I will start trying them.
I also like the idea of backwards chaining, and will see where it is possible to use this. One has to be careful not to overwhelm students with a "finished" product that they initially feel is beyond them, but if it can be used to help them understand the relevance of what they are working towards then it is certainly a valuable function.

I relate the learning topic to on-the-job experiences to show the relationship of the learning process to the actual performance in the real world. I frequently pause in the learning process to watch each student to see if they are up-to-speed with the topic.

By repeating important things and giving emphasis on positive thinking.

As I am teaching, I repeat important issues frequently and observe the students to assure that each of them is up-to-speed with the topic. Those who don't understand the topic become obvious with thier reactions.

I have practiced writing, telling, and showing students the most important points. I use encouraging words for students, send emails to those absent from class and helpful hints.
If a topic is discussed that is not in-depth in the text, I send articles to students to reference.
I am a visual/kinestic learner, so I plan lessons accordingly.

Our faculty continuously relates the topic being discussed in class to our clinical experience. In this way, we relate to the real world on-th-job applications.

memory
make the class room unique. Have something stand out and have the students partcipate as much as possible. Students tend to retain what they touch . Learn by doing

Our students enter into hands-on laboratory experience early in their program and I find that things seem to make more sense to them when they are actually able to apply didactic subjects to the real world experience.

Hi David!

There are my guiding principles for helping students learn - repeat and reenforce.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

One of the first things I will do is manage my time to allow a thorough debriefing session.

Most often I find two things most helpful. I beleive in my students and remind them throught the class that they can learn this, but learning is not a passive action.
Secondly, I project my belief in the importance of what I teach and how much they will use the basic concepts and techniques even if they never work in the specific field of psychiatric nursing.

I was very intrigued by the section about the reversal of information presentation. I am going to be working on a way to incorporate this method into my curriculum.

Hi David!

It is very important that instructors help students apply classroom applications to real world experiences. If students only had classroom application, they would act in a vaccumn in the workplace.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi Elizabeth!

Very nice! You reenforce the positive and affirm their innate abilities. Then you role-model behaviors and instill the belief that they can do it if they apply themselves. And you know those are some fantastice lessons to learn in the classroom from an instructor who cares.

BRAVO and keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

With a class that is about methods in pastry work, I believe repetition is a could method of learning retention, however you need to keep it a fun positive manner so as the student may understand it more and memorize it better. If the demo is long winded a student is just going to switch off and not pay any attention also it needs to be short to maintain their attention

Sign In to comment