Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's particularly effective if you also come back as the last thing you talk about so you knot only get the impact of Primacy but you also reinforce using Recency as well.

I believe i can really use the seating arrangements discussed throughout the module to assist my students with their retention. I had never really given that much thought to how you are seated effects your ability to remember.However my current course requires alot of lecture so anything that will help me with that i am willing to try.

I have to admit that the review at the end of my lectures is pretty short and I think in the future more time will be spent in my class reviewing the topics covered.

I teach several laboratory courses that is a lot of "how to" and then we breeze through the why. I am seeing a bit more to the value of the why and how that may help the students retain some of the how to a bit better. Relating it to personal experience or the emotion behind why may also help us. There is a lot of emotion involved with the veterinary field.

I am going to give alot more positive feedback when I can but being in the dynoroom csn be dangerous.Right now I have alot of broken parts and chunked tires that I use as pictures or visual aides.I have always started each day with a quick review saying I am old and have no memory and it helps me to hear things over again while I am reviewing.I have step by step instructions that the students get that I tell them to use when needed.

Utilizing Backwards Chaining seems like it could have the effect of implementing multiple (if not all) retention tools. Primacy will be attained by introducing the finished product, or objective, at the classes start, as could visual and uniqueness if done correctly. By ending class with the rudimentary steps of the objective, you can drive them into memory via recency. This could, in fact, provide the most potential for retention. It would especially be useful for highly technical topics such as Business Analysis Techniques or Market Research.

Perhaps related to the backwards chaining, I often recommend my students take tests backwards if possible. I have used this personally and found it to be fairly successful for most students. When test anxiety gets to be an issue, taking it backward seems to alleviate at least some of that anxiety, because you have already seen the "end" of the test.

Hello Alesha,

What a good idea! When in school, I would often do just that and you are right about relieving the anxiety.

Jane Davis
FD107 Facilitator

I can't agree more. I use review activities almost as much as delivering the material and it helps the students retain the info so much better! Games are even more helpful for review.

I can definitely use the recency and primacy theories -- listing lesson objectives on the board at the beginning and then summarizing at the end. I also like the information chunking concept and will use this to help break down complex material into more digestible units for students.

I think that I will try to paint more pictures in their minds.

Well, today I suggested students use Information Chunking for a 10 step process.

Primacy is big. Seminar attendee's show up alert and enthused, and the facilitator spends that precious time with introductions and talking about what we're going to talk about. As a facilitator, I try to capture that initial enthusiasm before I ultimately put them to sleep.

I'm going to give something to students who volunteer answers or questions. I'm thinking of perhaps a $1,000 bill.

I try to make important things fun. Things that I know the students need to know I try to relate to a story or situation that I have come across in practice. I find that the more interesting the story the more likely the students will be to remember them. I even reuse stories I was told in school because I still remember them.

I have used a form of backwards chaining while teaching the more difficult sections of an algebra course. I start by making a list of the math rules or formulas, and then use several examples with them. After the students understand how to use the rules or formulas, I explain the details of why the rules or formulas work. This is followed by solving more complex problems using the rules or formulas. My software company developed the ABC Method for instruction to “make the complex, simple”. It uses a unique combined form of backwards chaining and of chunking. It takes a complex task and breaks it down into its most simple component parts. A completed sub-task is shown and explained, followed by step-by-step instructions and examples of how to create the sub-task. Each of the sub-tasks is taught this way until all of the sub-tasks are completed to make up the entire larger complex task. Just like learning the letters of the alphabet, the most basic parts can be combined to create more complex expressions and ideas. Letters become words, which can be grouped together to form sentences and paragraphs. I have completed several advanced degrees and have conducted extensive research in the areas of adult education and positive psychology. There are many effective teaching methods and ways to effectively motivate students to want to learn. The students are ultimately responsible for their education.

by using the debreifing methods i will increase retention

Hi John! An excellent technique for increasing memory. Association has always been an excellent tool for me when it comes to remembering people, places, and information.

Good thoughts!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

i am going to use a matching and a jepordy type game in my next reveiw

Hi David,

Good ideaas! I have used Jeopardy with a great deal of success. Students really like the competition.

In an earlier response, I suggested that you have some type of prize for both the winning and loosing team.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

When I speak to a student or talk to the class I allways try to be very positive, letting them know that I believe that they can achieve the goal they are working for. being positive also leads to them believing that you do care about them learning and this works best of all for me.

When I teach a new subject to my students I try to relate the subject with an experiance that I had or when i question them on it and they answer correctly I reward them eather with praise or a small peice of candy. these little things seam to work well

Sign In to comment