Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Breaking down the level of "fear" associated with learning is a challenge. I think I will concentrate on putting a "positive" spin when presenting tools and other practices students should employ to study/retain class information. Emphasizing the benefits of the utilization of the study tools will allow the students to flourish due to the Pygmalion theory and in the long term help them to retain the desired information because the are exercising habits which foster retention.

I think by consentrating on being positive and showing the students the end result of their learning they will gain a greater understanding of the material. I will implement the tool of showing my students the outcome of their learning first, where possible.

I will utilize memory research by giving the students quizzes that they design by the questions they ask.

I plan on using the primacy theory to immediately introduce and get greater student retention of the day's lesson. I feel as though if the students are helped to understand the real world value of the topic as early as possible, they will be better able to remember the steps that bring them back to the outcome at the end of class.

ABSOLUTELY Seth!

There are many useful tools from the most simple to the more technology driven. I was reading about 100 ways to use the IPOD as a learning tool. Then using a very simple, homemade mobile with key terms on it will create learning opportunities. The sky is the limit for instructors in assisting students with learning.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi Robert!

Sounds like backwards learning! Start with the end first and move backwards was always a great way for me to learn. Just keep in mind that all students don't learn the same. I think to help those students who might have a challenge with this type of learning, hand out a drawing of the process starting at the beginning.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I agree with you on this one.sometimes it is better to break things down for your students.

How will you use the memory research to increase the students' learning retention in a class you are currently teaching? What will you do differently?

Great approach Mike!

It's like reading the ending of a book first then the story starts from the beginning and takes all the interesting twists and turns.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I think breaking things up into groups of 5 to 7 will help maximize retention.

Yes, utilizing the small groups of items is key to retention. Also, periodically repeating these smaller lists aids as well.
Ryan

I plan on starting each class with a discussion of learning objectives (primacy) and review learning of new material at the end(recency). I also plan on using peripherals and increasing number of pictures in Power Points. to reinforce learning of material learned in exercises (visuals)

Anita ,
this is a great method to set the stage for learning & this really does help the students retain the information even more.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Students come into the learning environment feeling that they will fail and using positive reinforcement and the right word choice is always needed for the student success.

Sign In to comment