Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe that it is important to give them a reason to pay attention to things that we teach them. In other words; if we give them a piece of material then I believe we should tell them why it is important and how knowing this will help them in the future as well as in the class room.

I am very intrigued by the idea of reverse chain instruction. I believe it could be very helpful in some of our class discussions. I think knowing the end result could be helpful in getting through the process. For example, in our microbiology series we have to know what bacteria causes which diseases. Im thinking, working backwards may be more effective for the students in learning the process of diseases.

Add more analogies and have them connect words for better understanding example= unhooked means unloaded.

I try to speak in a positive manner as much as I can, but maybe not as often as I should. So I think I will try to incorporate more positive suggestion during class.

I help the students design slogans and acronyms to recall procedural steps to perform varies test when operating chassis dyno.

We can also use various wording to determine the level of understanding. Blooms taxonomy has a good variety of words that can be used to determine the retention of a subject matter.

I teach at a technical school. I have 70 years of technology to try to inform the students of in 140 hours if the full schedual is run. In taking this online course I have seen some things that I will try to use. Since we are in the process of rewriting an outdated and confusing lesson plan I will try to break down the sections for more Disassemble, history, and reassemble befor moving on to the next topic. This should help to focus and reinforce at the same time.

Hi James!

Sounds like a perfect way to reenforce learning.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I will concentrate on debriefing as it is currently lacking in my classroom. At this point I have not done much in the way of review or debriefing at day-end, but I see that it can be a very effective tool.

Teaching an electrtical course, I will increase my review of pertinent information on a daily basis changing the wording of my questioning and
usinig more analogies to help the student remember the information.

Quite often I use a funny joke to emphasize an important point. Occasionally I make a reference to a movie or tv show that everyone is familiar with that relates to the concept being presented.

Electrical seems to be a subject that students have the most problems with. I find students have a pre-conceived notion that the subject is going to be hard and thus they make it hard on themselves. I think this is most certainly an area that an Instructor could use a method of questioning the students at frequently in order to help with the retention of the subject.

I think our department as a whole needs to spend more time reviewing, both before and after lab. In a previous department I worked in we had the students make posters for the walls showing information they had learnt in the course. This seemed to help the next group of students, because they would see some of the terms and information ahead of time and this would often peek their interest.

Hi David!

I like your approach! I am very visual and believe that all learning styles positively react to visual materials.

Good job!

Jane Davis
Ed107 Facilitator

Robert, I like that approach - becomes real and meaningful. Students better connect with you and the subject being discussed.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi Byron!

Good idea! I like to put students in groups and have a contest. Each group makes up questions and then ask the other group those questions. The group that gets most correct is the winner and I always have prizes for everyone - even the "losers"! As we go along the group as a whole discusses both correct and incorrect answers. Great review and fun or the everyone.

Could this approach work in your environment?

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Not only positive conversation. I find that word association works for retention.

I currently use a funny phrase to get students to laugh, when I teach smoking and curing of meats I write on the board,"If it can't be cured ... Don't smoke it! They laugh and get the point that all meats put into a smoker must first be cured.

Hi Joseph!

Interest that you say that. I am currently using some materials developed by the State of VA call "Workforce Readiness Skills" and an observation that both myself and the students have made is word association. The program uses many words that have same or similar meanings.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
Ed107 Facilitator

I phrase statements in the positive and use verbs that imply success. In addition, I use techniques like 'PEMDAS - please excuse my dear aunt sally' to help students remember the proper order of arithmetic operations and 'FOIL' to help remember the method for multiplying binomials'. They seem to remember these clues for years.

Sign In to comment