Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Expanding Understanding with Storytelling | Origin: ED146

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

How Storytelling Benefits Learning --> Expanding Understanding with Storytelling

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Storytelling helps the students become more engaged and relate to the topic, which helps their learning. 

I use Storytelling when teaching about HGB, I say that HGB is attracted to oxygen in the same way that I a attracted to Denzel Washington.... I just want to go to him (using humor, body language)

I am going to continue applying the story telling method. The learned content provides excellent explanation why this method is so effective.

In surgery you have to have rhythm, I  my medical class I teach my surgical tech students rhythm with my African drum called the Djembe.

The idea of letting students bring their own individual and cultural relevance to the story to enhance inclusion will be valuable in my teaching. 

I am going to continue to apply storytelling to assist my nursing students in learning their skills.

I use storytelling to relate to the context be taught, I have noticed that some stories I get not responses or questions. However, most times when I have questions being asked I now know that they are learning. I have been told they like the stories that explain in depth of what is being taught. Not just what the book says.

In this module I learned the importance of story telling in any curriculum whether it is something along the lines of nursing or a skilled trade. Stories are the outlets for the world, allowing us to engage with it in a critical way rather than having a passive experience. It helps an individual put themselves into the story teller and learn from their own experience. 

I think story telling is great.  It helps with retaining the material and encourages the engagement of the students through asking questions.

Sign In to comment