Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Characteristics of Good Storytelling | Origin: ED146

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

How Storytelling Benefits Learning --> Characteristics of Good Storytelling

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Stories that are interesting and full of humor can help connect the storyteller to the audience, who then releases dopamine, and that helps secure the information in their long-term memory. 

Like most of us, some of my fondest learning opportunities came through the use of a good story. Whether this was during my education or childhood from an grandparent, a story always had/has a way to making a common fact become a valuable resource. 

I use this method in clinical lab, I start the session with a scenario, share how the nurse made a mistake, and then allow the student to critically think through the correct way to approach it. 

EVERYONE appreciates humorous story

A good story can encourage input from otherwise quiet students and start the ball rolling for optimum engagement.

I take a lab skill and  turn it into a story by bringing it alive with humor and classroom participation. Example: I teach a surgical tech program, there is a process the surgeon uses to enter the abdominal cavity.  ( marker, knife, clamp, tie, suture scissors., etc. ) So I chose 5 students to be each item above. A narrator starts out with I AM A - and the student who is the marker stands up and says I am a marker, the next student stands up and says, I am the knife. can you see the lesson coming alive?

Story telling can enhance teaching environment.

I found the link to many different App based resources interesting. I will try exploring some of the free Apps to see how they may enhance the classroom experience. 

Providing storytelling of experiences to the students brings the real world to the classroom, thus keeping them engaged by letting them ask follow-up questions related to the topic being taught

I use storytelling in all my nursing labs to help the students remember and relate to the task. Sometimes it makes them understand the importance for doing it and the danger it can cause by not carrying out the task. ie:  Two patient identifier on a patient.

Storytelling can unlock the students imagination when it comes to understanding the content being taught it also opens up room for discussion especially about other peer experiences.

Storytelling, while used regularly in my classroom, is often a key tool in the instructor's toolbelt. This course serves as an important reminder that it can not only enhance the student's learning, but often provoke questions about their roll in the industry of choice. Furthermore, it is often used to boost engagement and dedication to the field. 

As an instructor for HVAC/R, I've found the subject is dry and boring to younger students.  Telling a story about real-life events and how they relate to the subject we are going over in class helps tremendously. 

Sign In to comment