Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really have appreciated all the great ideas for various types of instruction. I especially got some good ideas for interactive and independent instruction techniques. I'm excited to implement them. 

I use a variety of methods that were discussed.  One that I have not used is the metacognitve prompts, so that will be my next one to try.  I love having the variety of tools available to match the needs of the class.

I enjoyed David Grimes teaching methods from the videos. I am im plementing the journal in my classroom this next week.Indirect instruction will keep students motivated and focused on tasks at hand. Doing more visualization senses such as sight, sound, and feel helps students learn better. I am very excited and have even thought about the role play in an interview setting before students go to externship.

There are a variety of strategies I will seriously consider adopting into my teaching practice. Specifically, I look to implement case studies, journal assignments, and activities that will help the student visualize themselves in their future professional role.

I routinely discuss metacognition with my students, a wholly new concept to all, so I appreciate the technique of the metacognitive prompts and will be implementing them immediately.  I also liked his discussion of the learning logs, another tool I intend to incorparate right away.

the course had several great strategies for collabortive learning 

I learned quite a bit about diverse teaching methods. I definitely see when I've implemented some of them, but I'd love to include methods like the assigned questions and catch-up techniques in my classes. I think it'd benefit my students and make for a more comfortable and engaging learning environment.

I have learned about the clear direction of direct/ indirect/ interactive and independent instructions. Although I have used most of the methods discussed, I still feel that it is very helpful to hear about some specific tips which are suggested in the video.

I have learned that direct instruction is a sound method for teaching and it provides great benefit to the student when they are in a new setting and this type of learning is new. Interactive instruction offers a more active role in learning. The student has to put forth more effort towards learning. I also learned that independent learning comes in various forms. One in particular allows journaling which benefits the student as it allows them an opportunity to get input from the instructor. 

As I listened to the videos and thought about how I use each method I realized that a good teacher should use all of these methods so that the students get the chance to learn in a variety of ways and that we get to assess what we teach them in a variety of ways also. 

I realized how many sub-categories of intruction exist.  Some of these categories I have exoperienced as a student, some I have administered during instruction and I would like to try all of them!

Change the learning channel often.

It will be helpful in my teaching.

Strtegic planning cannot be successful without an underlying strategic vision.

Finding the correct way to teach the students requires changing how you teach on the fly. Some students require a lot of lecture time while others like the hands on approach. It's a tightrope to walk.

I've learned that I've used a combination of the strategies and no one method meets everyones needs but it does allow you to see a greater outcome of involvement when applied. 

I have learned that there are very many types of teaching and sometimes I may have to use several of the techniques depending on the topic and student needs.

I have learned that there are a variety of techniques a teacher can use to help engage the students.  As I have typically taught statistics, these metods were never used when I went to university.  However, I can see the benefit of group work to show the students they can learn from their peers, and that can help them improve their problem solving skills.

I think independent study can be benefical if students are able to understand and retain the material.

u have to be willing to adjust your course to the method that fits best with the present students you are instructing.

Sign In to comment