Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Defining Critical Aspects of Literacy | Origin: ED134

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Literacy is Not an Option --> Defining Critical Aspects of Literacy

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The four part process of reading, listening, writing, and speaking all need to be included when teaching information literacy and when assessing for understanding. I might use this to assess how I teach library instruction (e.g. what percentage do I spend speaking, writing, listening, reading and what percentage do I ask of each from students).

Literacy skills include listening, speaking, reading, and writing, and all four of these components are vital to comprehension and understanding.  Effective instructors should build in opportunities for both the instructor and the students to practice using all of these skills to improve comprehension and provide the instructor with opportunites for assessment of learning.

Literacy includes listening,reading,writing and speaking. All these skill lead to comprehension, which in term means that they all work together to enlighten, challange and motivate and help us reach our goal to communicate well.

All four components, writing, listening, reading, and speaking, are important components to literacy and to the classroom. I find it important to consistently ask what the students think and feel about a given topic. I dont want to just rely on passive listening, but active participation that includes all aspects of literacy. 

It takes writing, listening, reading and speaking to have successful learners.

Speaking is necessary for some students to process and understand the topic being learned.

The four components are all important to literacy and to the classroom. Active listening strategies are helpful to ensure reading comprehension. 

Active listening is important in all classes.

The variety of information flow input and output for students can be used to differentiate classwork in order for the students to improve their literacy at their own pace. Input options include Visual, Text, and Sound. The output consists of Mixed, Media, and Output.

Active listening skills are important and shouls be emphasized. 

Reading, writing and listening is important to the overall learning process

The process of listening, speaking, reading, and writing all play a key part in understanding the material . The speaking and writing part of this lets the teacher know the level of understanding that the student has of the material.

Active listening and comprehension is key.

Students need to learn writing mehanics and sentence structure for better reading comprension.

It takes reading, writing, listening and speaking to be sucessful learners. There is a reason why we have two eyes, two ears and two hands, but only one mouth to use as we learn.

Literacy is so important to the development of young adults.

Seeing the diagram of how the input of reading writing and listing creates a varied output is eyeopening. I never thought about it in those terms. 

I thought the most enlightening information was the "don't make assumptions about what adult students know or understand." I teach college students, and even the most advanced students are still learning. Proofreading is big in my courses, so I make sure I explain an error so my students can understand why and how they made a typo or grammatical error so they can avoid them in the future. I always provide explanation to grades or when students lose points, so they can see where they can improve for the next assesment.

I love how the lesson shows us how the four parts, reading, writing, speaking, and listening all work cohesively in the comprehension process. We must encourage our students to read our content, but also take notes to enhance the learning of new material. But they also must listen to the teacher during the lesson and be able to speak to (or repeat) in their own words what the lesson was about to ensure they have an understanding of the content.

Sign In to comment