Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Objectives and Standards | Origin: ED109

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Preparing and Creating Lesson Plans --> Learning Objectives and Standards

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Lesson plans are written in concert with the objectives chosen for a specific course. Objectives are intended to be measurable, specific and concise giving the students an idea of what they will learn and the skills they will develop. Set standards to increase their abitlity to perform while conducting assessments to measure a student's progress toward meeting set standards.

IN ORDER TO MAKE A GOOD LESSON PLAN YOU MUST DEFINE THE OBJECTIVES.

OBJECTIVES MUST BE CLEAR, SPECIFIC AND MEASURABLE SO THAT THEY WILL SERVE THE PURPOSE OF HELPING BOTH TE TEACHER AND THE STUDENTS TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE AND NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S BEING TAUGHT IN THE COURSE.

IN ADDITION THERE MUST BE SET STANDARDS THAT CAN MATCH THE NECESSARY NEEDS FOR THE THE STUDENTS IN THIS FIELD.

I prefer to post objectives and refer to them as the lessons progress so students can see the flow of the topic

The criticality of using objectives to define what material will be taught and standards to serve as the measuring stick for both students and instructors.

Assessments are necessary to measure the progress of your students. Therefore, it is important to have clear and specific objectives that are measurable in order to have a clear picture of how each student is doing in class.

the biggest take away for me on this is the standards portion, often in my field it seems that people feel that they need knowledge with that does not help to achieve the standards of the job. 

I have learned that learning objectives and standards go hands-on-hands. A well defined learning objectives help intructional goal.  Standards of leaning help learners to gain the level of knowlege needed on a field environment.

I intend to utilize the pre test when beginning my class each day. This wil allow students to share what they already understand about the content. 

Objectives are the foundation of content planning and assessment and must be aligned to standards. Obejctives for learning facts, concepts, and procedures can be aligned to the first three levels of Bloom's taxomony, each of which includes specific verbs to use in formulating them. Objectives must include audience, behavior, condition and degree to be effective and measureable. I will formulate sound learning objectives prior to developing content for courses.

A baseline test prior to beginning the course or a particular subject is a good idea to assess what basic knowledge the student already has. This will allow the instructor to adjust the curriculum based on student needs.

Course planning should be backward engineered with the Standard(s) as the startpoint.   This will focus the lessons, incorporating students knowledge/abilities, time, resources, etc in a manner which will result in both intermediate learning objectives being met and overal course standards satisified.

Standards help Instructors with many tools, one is lesson planning and building skills. Helps you focus on course content and the skills needed in th field.

I relearned the cimpoirtance of crafting clear and concise objectives that helps inform many other tasks that follow such as the selection of activities and excercises. 

I've learned that the more detailed and concrete the learning objectives are articulated, the better. General or conceptual learning objectives should be avoided. 

Objectives provide clear measurement and allow refinement of course content and delivery, if needed.

Learning objectives must be clear, concise and measureable. The objectives must be understood by the students and relevant to what is expected to be learned. Standards are important because they focus the instructor on the course content and on the specific areas that need skill development in. Teaching by the standards will help focus the students to learn what they need to know when it comes to state and national licensing as well. 

Learning objectives and standards help to guide the procedure of a lesson plan.

Objectives should be based on standards.

I've written lesson plans and objectives, but it was never suggested to refer back to them and review. I will certainly be doing this from now on.

Sign In to comment