Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Community Partnerships

We do a ton of on campus activities, food drive, 3 blood drives a year, phone and ink cartridge drives, anything on campus seems to work really well with our students, however getting them off campus is a whole different story. We did a Breast Cancer walk, and ONE student showed up - we did however raise of $800. I never thought of reaching out to the community to set up partnerships? Does anyone do this, and which kinds of organizations do you seek/work with? I know childcare is such a problem for many of our students, along with transportation and money of course. Any ideas?

Typically, there are natural partnerships based on the skills learned in the academic programs: blood pressure screening at community centers for med assist students, designing print materials for non-profits by graphic design students, etc.

Your students could provide after school tutoring at a community center that might also have child care facilities. Students can do fund raisers using skills they are learning in the classroom - eg a fashion show to raise money for a cause the students select.

I hope other Forum participants will add examples from their experience as well.

We have done blood drives, food drives, thes3e seem to work best. Picnics and sports events have done well also.

Bill Adriance

Campus activities are always good in promoting cohesiveness. However, because our students usually have families, jobs, classes, etc. it is hard to get students to do many things outside of class.

Are these events for school personnel only or do you involve the students?

These types of events can be used to promote the school to the community and build skills as well.

Logistics of activities can be challenging and can also be an opportunity. When students bring up objections about family, jobs, classes, etc., challenge them to find ways to overcome these barriers to participation.

Are any of these activities part of course work? Do students get credit for participation?

The students, faculty and staff all are involved in the events. That is what makes them good motivators and builds better retention.

They are given credit for attendance, no academic grade. Families are invited to our events.

This could work if it was something done by students, faculty and staff together.

Sign In to comment