Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Placement Services

I have had to evaluate what I can take one and what will have to wait for our placement department. One thing that is really standing out is finding out how much our Graduates want to be involved with this endeavor.

I am thinking of setting up an externship and have a graduate volunteer help manage the research required to set up this department. We already have a lot of industry contacts and many great leads for jobs, but most of our career programs are for those interested in being self-employed. Much of the services would be business development and setting up a consultancy not job placement based. Is this part of a placement department? or an entirely different thing. Thanks. Kate

Hi Kate
All good points. Here are our thoughts to each: The best placement departments are of course very comprehensive. They are built by one offering at a time. So no rush. Suggest you get things in place one at a time to meet priorities.
Students and grads do not want to fill out one more form. So getting information is tough. Just have to keep sending the surveys and forms and even get on the phone or email until you get the information. It's very very valuable.
Externships are a great idea. And they can be set up any place. You will need an externship module so students can locate approved externship situations. Even if they work for themselves, an externship can give hands on experience.
Placement services can be anything that relates to assisting the student and grad to get ready and be successful in the workplace.
Best wishes
Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities