Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

designate jobs to correct departments?

I have asked my admissions department to ask new students to advise us of places they aspire to work with phone and address. I hope to contact them and to have a working relationship by the time the student graduates. Although this will not work for all students it should give me an idea of what the core needs are for our job seekers.

Also I am sure this will give me a good start for building industry contacts.

Any other ideas would be most helpful. Kate

Hi Kate
The admissions reps can certainly gain more information by asking prospective students where they hope to work. It helps students clarify what their goals are and enhances the enrollment process. I would put together a data base of everywhere that a graduate works. Ask permission of the grad to contact these employers. Ask the employers what they think of the grad as employee and how prepared they were for the workplace. You'll get information about your curriculum and also start to establish a relationship with the employer. Employers are good sources for new jobs and students.
If you don't already have a graduate survey I suggest you prepare one and ask grads to complete it when they graduate and then 30 and 60 days afterwards. You'll keep up with your grad and have some great information.
You're doing great.
Susan

That sounds good. It will allow you the opportunity to build relationships with companies in the area and to get to know what the outlook for jobs in the industry will be.

A problem may occur if the students are from another area and want to go back to that location or even move to another. ( Moved from Quincy, IL to Chicago to go to school and want to return or relocate to Atlanta after they complete their studies). We have started to develop a data base from various companies as a way to "point them (students)in the direction". Does not mean that we have all the answeres to where all the job openings will be, but will get them off to a start. Also, we teach students how to conduct a Job Search and with the computer and the internet, it makes it a lot easier to broaden your search.

I am finding that this is a bit of a problem. We are a distance educator and have students all over the world - to eliminate the problem of not having a broad enough scope of jobs etc. I have started to contact companies with national offices rather than localized markets. I am waiting to see if this approach will be of any benefit. Thanks Kate

Hi Sundra

Interesting opportunities. You could be developing relationships with companies beyond your geographical area. Maybe the companies have branches or affiliates where you are. Always an oppoortunity for more people to know about your school. Good marketing opportunities too. Your school could be more than local. If you have unique programs maybe you could attract students from a distance. Also think about distance education for some of your programs. The Placement Department has such a strong impact on the school.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Kate

Good idea to contact companies with national offices. Look at the results. The results might be in gaining new enrollments from companies who learn about your school. Some of the concepts in this course can easily be adapted to distance ed. Others can be a springboard for new strategies. I think the placement department impacts every area of the school.
Best wishes
Susan

Susan--

What are your thoughts about a placement department conducting a survey with employers, asking them to rate the importance of listed qualities/skills to a particular entry-level job?

Sharon

HI Sharon
Most definitely contact employers. If your grads are working there you might want to ask permission first. You can ask employers how your grads are doing, if they are trained sufficiently to do the job, their suggestions, etc. You might ask the employers to review your curriculum, equipment, and more. Ask them what the future needs of the workplace are so you can start to enhance your training.

There are many many benefits when you stay in touch with employers.

Best wishes
Susan

One of the ideas we utilize is the internship/externship programs while they are still active in school.

We give them the task of identifying areas of employment interest and encourage them to contact them with an offer to volunteer their services.

This has been helpful in getting the students foot into doors that may not have been available to them. It also builds relationships with those employers whenever new opportunities develop.

HI Wanda
We think on-the-job experience is invaluable and this can be done through intern and externships. We suggest a more formal approach rather than leaving it to the student. You might have someone contact potential employers who are open to having a student at the worksite and who are willing to give the student meaningful work under supervision. Then create a list of skills the student is to complete and develop a way to measure competencies. You'll have a unique program that is very marketable. And the student will get valuable experience plus demonstrate their capabilities to a potential employer.
BEst wishes
Susan

We actually have an externship department that works side by side with placement. They are responsible for attracting potential employers by passing out flyers, mailings, telephone networking. They are also responsible for the paperwork and recordkeeping.

The placement office also provides leads for externships from prospective employment contacts.

Hi Wanda

Great point. Placement and externship departments work with the same contacts - employers. The more contact with employers the more benefits to the school such as job openings, enrollments, advisory board members, curriculum assistance, presentations, adn more.
Best wishes
Susan

I realize that this comment is many years old but I love this idea about asking students where they aspire to work!

It's a great segue to meet more decision makers. Often I feel like a sales person (which in a sense we are when networking) but by using this introduction to the directors of our health care facilities that this particular site is where a student aspired to work and we wanted to gather information, employment data etc. I feel like directors might be more willing to spend time with the placement department even if they aren't necessarily hiring in this instant.

Nicole,
Very good application of an age-old concept. And great networking strategy. When students think about where they always wanted to work it gets them dreaming. Then you can show them what they need to do to make their dreams possible. Sounds like you can generate some great success stories too. People love to hear success stories. Thanks for sharing all this. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities