Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Surveys...

What surveys can you easily create and implement now to measure placement success?

We have surveys in place now to keep calling graduates who are actively seeking work so that we talk to each one within any two week period. We also talk to employers we know have interviewed our student or graduate for feedback on how they did as well as feedback from the student or graduate on what they thought of the employer and position open. We do not at this time do ongoing surveys of graduates not seeking employment although it would mostly mean sending out postcards for feedback. This would be another way to make sure they are happy in their field of choice.

Sounds like you are getting feedback from grads and also employers. Are you keeping any statistics? Do you use the information to improve your placement services or curriculum? It is interesting that you are not keeping in touch with grads who are not seeking employment. Are these grads already working or did they enroll with no employment goals in mind? I think that information gathered from them could be very interesting.
Good thoughts.
Susan

We have implemented several surveys, graduate exit counseling; employer surveys; and a follow-up graduate survey after 90 days.

The graduate exit counseling form asks the graduate to critique the program, i.e., what they enjoyed most and what they enjoyed least about the program. This provides the managemnet team with insight on how to better the program. This benefits the current student body and in the long run makes the graduate's degree more valuable because the program has been improved due to their input. It offers the graduate a sense of ownership over the program.

Both the employer and follow up graduate surveys provide the placement department and the college as a whole with excellent information when it is returned to us. The employer survey offers a critique of the skills the graduate has learned in school. Again, this information provides the management team with the necessary information to update and improve the program as needed. However, we have had a problem in obtaining this information from the employer due to their busy schedules. The placement department has done site visits in order to obtain this information, but more and more graduates are taking positions out of state. It can be a difficult dilemma to get this information returned.

The same holds true for our graduate surveys. The grads are busy in their new careers and life outside of the college experience. We are hard pressed to receive the information back from the graduate. One of the ways the placement department has attempted to overcome this obstacle is by informing the students that we are required to track them for a period of one year following graduation. This works for our department because we have developed a relationship with the students over the course of their schooling.

Hi
You have identified an interesting challenge - getting survey response back. Sounds like you have also discovered the solution - keep after them. Meet with people. Eventually grads and employers will see the benefit of getting the information. Maybe an alumni org will help too. Best wishes
Susan

We complete surveys at a variety of points. Every phase students are asked to complete surveys which includes information on every area of school operation including placement services. When they exit they are completing surveys and follow-up is done regularly after graduation. We also hold an annual graduation ceremony and a survey is distributed at that time as well. We have started a "Grad at Work" bulletin board. This displays our graduates with a testimonial and a picture of them on the job. It is a great topic of discussion for not only prospective students, but also for current students as well.

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like you are implementing surveys very well. Just wondering who compiles the data, summarizes results, and then distributes for feedback. Great having a graduation ceremony. I find they are great public relations tools and also bring people to the school who might enroll. Your "grad at work" bulletin board is also wonderful. Do the admissions reps know to bring prospective students by to see it? Ever think of creating a brochure with all your successful grads? Can be a mailer or posted on your web site.

Best wishes,

Susan

Susan-
With the graduate surveys, Career Services compiles all results and implements ideas,... Before any info is disbursed, I read over the surveys and make appropriate notations. These surveys are kept in binders according the grad dates.

Admissions loves the grad at work board! It is located in the direct path of their tour and is always a topic of conversation for prospectives. Career Services is working to compile a binder of testimonials for display in our lobby and also in their office. That is a great idea in using this info for flyers and mailers as well.

Thanks- Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

Sounds like you are making great use of the surveys. From a research point of view I always think there is more to do with the data in terms of analysis and also acting on the information. I'm a qualitative researcher so all data to me is valuable. Just a thought to push to the next step. Best wishes, Susan

On-going and timely follow-up with employers and students/graduates is a critical component of customer service. First, the survey must be done in a timely manner while the value of our placement service is fresh in the mind of the customer. Second, the customer must see the value of their input. This can be done through providing the results of the survey to all participants and, most importantly, the corrective actions being taken to improve customer service based on their input.
Through our Advisory Committee, we obtain formal survey information regarding our curriculum, facilities, equipment, etc., but we are weak in the follow-up, i.e., showing our committee the results of their input. This is an important part of our relationship with the community and one I will focus on improving over the next year.
Also, we are in constant communications with our employers and graduates during the initial placement process. I see a real value in a more formal survey and follow-up process and will implement this into our Placement Plan. Do you have samples of formal surveys for both the employer and graduate that we could use for our department?

Hi Mitzie

Looks like you have a great understanding of the details and follow up required for a good placement department and gathering and using information. Attached are 2 surveys that you can adapt. Best wishes, Susan

For every class our students are enrolled, they are given evaluations at the beginning and end of every course to give us thorough and general feedback about our college. By meeting with every graduate to discuss the position of interest, we are able to track every student who will be contacting that particular employer. As we realize that our graduates are busy, we follow up with them to inquire about the interview process, the potential employer and status of employment. In addition, we also follow up with alumni and their employers. We have been somewhat successful in measuring placement by pursuing feedback and not waiting for it.

Since Suzanne Tignor works at the same college as I my answer is similar to hers, so I'll be brief.

We follow up via phone calls, email and snail mail with graduates to see how they are enjoying their new positions.

We conduct a graduate survey 90 days after graduation. We ask questions that will enable us to find out if the graduate is satisfied with their position, if their expectations were reasonable and if they feel they were academically prepared for the job responsibilities.

We also conduct an employer survey 90 days after the placement of a graduate. We probe to find out if the graduate is performing up the expectations of the employer. We ask questions to find out about performance, dependability, teamwork, work ethic, skills, etc.

We do employer and graduate surveys very similar to the previous postings. They are designed to evalaute the student work ethic as well as the students training. We are now trying new ways to increase our responces from surveys. We do a mail out, then follow-up phone calls, we are also making graduates complete surveys when they pick up their cap and gawn.

Hi Kim
While there are others at your school also enrolled in the same MaxK course you still have different perspectives on what is happening and also unique ideas to make the strategies and results better. Your 90 day surveys sound great. Are you doing anything to help the grad with employment retention and advancement? Re your very in-depth interview with the employer, what do you do with the information gathered? Do you discuss curriculum? equipment? learning materials?
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Todd
Your comments point to the fact that getting survey response from grads takes work and constant follow up. The information is so valuable it is worth it. Can you tell us more about how you evaluate student work ethic? What have you discovered? What has been changed in the curriculum or your offerings to improve new employee work ethic? What areas do you focus on? Thanks,
Best wishes, Susan

Hi Wendy
Great that you are doing a thorough job following up grads. Do you discover areas that need improvement in the interview process? Are there additional skills you could be teaching to improve success in getting a job? I like the idea of following up alumni and their employers. There is a lot of information to get that can improve programs and ensure that course objectives meet the needs of the workplace. Keeping in touch with employers is a way to anticipate future training needs. Your school could be ahead of the game by offering programs that will be needed by local business and industry.
Best wishes, Susan

All survey responses are compiled and submitted to the Administration & Program Directors. They review the responses to ensure that we are providing what students and employers want & need. When a common theme is found in several surveys, it clues the Administration that we should continue to do certain things that are working well & in some instances perhaps we should make some changes.

We currently have a general alumni and employer survey, but we are now compliling individual surveys for each program. We started with our Veterinary Technician program and felt that we had great success with that survey and we are now branching out into other program areas. We send these surveys out 1 year after graduate. I do like the idea of sending out 90 day surveys as well.

I did like the idea of having a special survey for self employed graduates and look forward to implementing that in the very near future.

We do have several surveys implemented. We have an exit survey of their course experiences at school, a 30-60-90 day survey regarding placement services and work experiences, employer surveys on the interviews with our graduates, and surveys on job performances of those they hire.

We do record stats from these surveys in order to update, change, implement new ideas, etc. We then ca see we are continuing to provide all that is necessary for our students/graduates to succeed.

Christine Jimenez

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities