Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Facebook & Online Resources

I started using our facebook as an alumni/professional development/job board tool. Most of our students are on facebook so I will post information about jobs as they are available but never the company name or application specifics making them email or call so that way we can track who is applying where and not giving leads away to grads from other schools. I also utilize this site to post helpful articles and tips on resumes/cover letters, dos and don'ts of interviewing, networking etc. It has been a great resource to keep in contact with our graduates and get the word out for those who are looking for work!

Nicole,
Thanks Nicole. Keeping in touch with grads shows how much you appreciate them. In turn they will refer new students, help with school projects, and tell you about job openings and externships where they work. There are many ways to stay in touch with Alumni. Facebook is good, as long as it is monitored. A dedicated Alumni website is also a way to stay in touch with grads. If the website is the only way to get transcripts then you'll locate a lot more grads easily. This is very important when working on Gainful Employment. How much of your time do you spend on alumni development? I'm writing articles on alumni. So anyone interested please contact me directly . susan@susanfschulz.com

Dr. Susan Schulz

i have always think this is a great idea, but i didn't know how to convince my supervisor about it. i will show her this so she can see that it can be a great tool for the department. thank you.

Jymy,
It might be possible to set up some informal Facebook pages and then show your supervisor the great results. You can reach students, grads, alumni, and employers and post jobs, resumes, and lots more. thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

How much time does it take to monitor and update your facebook page? I am worried that I will be spending most of my day monitoring the content.

Cesar G ,
Good question. The reality is that monitoring social media can be a full time job and shouldn't be taken lightly. Great comments are great for a school or any organization. Bad comments can be lethal. Someone needs to be watching feedback on all social media in addition to Facebook. It takes someone trained and checking and reporting back all the time. thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities