Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technique

It's all about technique, trial and error and pratice practice pratice!

Eric,

I agree! Sometimes it is about making mistakes as well. If mistakes are made, the student sometimes has the opportunity to learn how to correct it or will at least know what not to do in the future.

Jae Gruber

Agreed, to break up a lecture day we now work our "soft skills" such as knife cuts into the curriculum. It is also the feedback we are getting from the industry. Our studentd need to become more proficient with knife cuts.

Agreed 100% Knife cuts takes practice, you can lecture all day long about the theory of knife cuts, but will never learn until you have hands on practice forging your technique.

LAWRENCE,

Very true...knife cuts take time and practice and must be practiced as much as possible. It can be easy to fall back in to old habits.

Jae Gruber

Chris ,

I agree. I believe it is also important for instructors to assess the knife cuts within a recipe, in addition to knife cuts performed for the sake of practice.

Jae Gruber

Many of our students are looking for hands-on experience so first they have to learn the technique and then they will perform the same technique. Repetition is the key to get better and better.

Bruno,

I agree, repetition is key. Some instructors express frustration that their students fall back into "old habits" of knife cuts/cooking when they get home. What instructors do to encourage students to practice good cooking habits at home?

Jae Gruber

Vey nice! Lecture and skills can go hand in hand only through application. It can be explaining something to someone that has never seen a piece of steak, but only by seeing, touching, and tasting will they understand the concept as a whole.

Wook,

I agree, the entire sensory experience should be incoporated into a lab environment to maximize engagement and enhance memory.

Jae Gruber

yes but I believe that learning parts of a technique called chunking is beneficial for students

Rebecca,

Can you elaborate on this technique?

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities