Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What challenges are you seeing with generational gaps with students?

Older students are being found more and more in the culinary class rooms. How are other instructors managing class room discipline with the younger generation?

If possible I like to pair younger students with older/career change students. This gives both parties a chance or opportunity to work with someone who has a lot of life experience to work with someone who may be just starting out. I find this works well in giving both parties a chance to see the world differently than what their used to.Gives younger people a sense of self-respect.

Warren,

I believe this a great practice and gives students an opportunity to step out of the comfort zone of simply associating with those their age.

Jae Gruber

David,

It is true that there are now many career changers in the classroom. You have a good question with regard to classroom discipline. I find that many instructors tell me it is best to lay down the ground rules on the first day of the course and continue to be consistent. Do any other instructors out there have thoughts on this?

Jae Gruber

I pair students up. Younger with the older students and this helps to create a balance to the classroom environment. Usually once paired together the students discover that they can learn from each other was ground rules are established.

Chan,

This is very true. Assignment of groups or pairs by the instructor (rather than having students pick their own groups) helps student break out of their comfort zone and learn more about their classmates.

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities