Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Continuous Learning

As a culinary instructor, what are some methods that you have used to keep your skills and knowledge current?

I engage in part time catering and I teach private classes every so often. The catering keeps my speed and organization skills at a high level, and the private classes help give me perspective. I really think it would benefit industry chefs to teach a class once in a while. It would likely demonstrate the value of listening to and observing their staff in action to help them improve.

I like to visit former Chefs I have worked for and work for a night, or just help out and observe what's going on in the restaurant.

Mark,

It is fun to go back into the industry and help out and/or observe. Many Chef Instructors pick up side jobs on weekends or volunteer for culinary events so that they can keep their skills sharp and refresh their knowledge of current trends.

Jae Gruber

One life-long learning habit I try to instill in my students is to read absolutely everything culinary related that they can get their hands on. I have subscriptions to several culinary oriented magazines, some of which are technique based and others that are historically or culturally focused. I also make a point to read as many cookbooks and culinary textbooks as possible. A good mingling of classic, old school cookbooks with modern and contemporary ones put out by currently popular chefs gives me (and my students) a leg up on honing skills and building our knowledge base.

Michael,

These are all excellent ideas and sources that I use as well and recommend to students. I also refer them to some Chef blogs and ask them to read restaurant reviews. Giving the students as much information about the culinary and hospitality world can enhance their learning, assist in broadening their understanding of career options and provide additional visual aids to reinforce what they are learning in culinary school.

Jae Gruber

Took a sabatical for one year to develop a casual upscale farm to table restaurant in an affluent area in the Philadelphia suburbs. Became involved in decision-making in areas of food sourcing, advances in technology of equipment, current layout & design strategies, and food costing as it relates to menu pricing.

Peter,

It is fantastic that you were able to do this and can now share your knowledge with your students. Even if instructors do not have this type of opportunity, just getting out at culinary events and volunteering or doing a stage on occassion can increase exposure to new trends and techniques.

Jae Gruber

I read, I listen to cooking shows while doing work around the house, I have journals sent to the house and to school, we then use these are reference articles for class... I contacted publishers to send us books that are course related, but maybe are in excess or not selling well. I begged the library to create a section specifically to our discipline... I even set up a website for students to post what they find interesting and then blog about their experiences as we go through the school year, and even when they are on break.

Knowledge is kept current by reading more in depth scientific food writings and following nutritional information including labeling laws and vegan/vegetarian/Palio or whatever the latest diet trend is. As for the skills, I do a few catered events on the side and if class time allows then I dive right in and do a bit extra for the class demonstration. All these keep me sharp.

Kelvin,

These are all exellent ideas to share with your class. I know other instructors who like to "over deliver" on the content of the class and even use that demonstration of a "little extra something" as a reward for the class displaying consistent professionalism, organization and mise en place.

Jae Gruber

The continuos reading of industry magazines helps keeps ideas fresh and working on a eew mayor events a year helps maintain your edge sharp. That way you can realte to your students current experiences of real world culinary trends.

Enrique,

I do think it is important to review the latest industry periodicals and to encourage your students to do so as well. Culinary related websites and blogs can be fun for you and your students to discuss. Instructors working occassionally in businesses or at events as well as volunteering with their students, helps keeps learning fresh for both students and instructors!

Jae Gruber

I read industry periodicals, daily paper-especially the food sections, watch culinary TV shows (some with a great deal of pain) etc. I also try to dine out as often as possible, particularly in newer 'trend setting' establishments. I also teach classes at a local cooking school. I also travel and always try both high end as well as local style restaurants while doing so-particularly in Europe.

I constantly read magazines and even pull out some of old cookbooks that I have to possibly get new ideas. I still try to volunteer fo events with the local chapter of the ACF and take various continuing education courses to stay abreast of changing trends.

Van,

All of these areas are fantastic and fun ways to provide continuous learning for you. When you can share these experiences with your students in a classroom environment they can look forward to your stories and observations.

Jae Gruber

One thing that has worked well for me in terms of continuous learning, is to keep in touch with graduates who are actively working and learning new things. Grads love to tell their old school chefs all about the new things they're learning on the job, and oftentimes that includes techniques or innovations that are new to me as well. Then not only am I learning something new, but I can also pass that knowledge on to my current students as an example of how important networking is to their own continuing education.

Karen,

It can be interesting to go back to old cookbooks and see how many "old" ideas are once again "new" ideas and share that information with students. Modern interpretation of classic cuisine or "deconstructed" dishes can really stir the creative thought process.

Jae Gruber

Dorothy,

Staying in touch with graduates is really an excellent way to stay in touch with the industry. In fact, why not invite them to come to the school and do a special demo and Q&A session with students? They can talk about their school experience, what they would do differently and what they have learned in retrospect!

Jae Gruber

Besides reading industry journals, I take occasional classes to build skills. Also, I just finished my MBA in environmental sustainability, which has become a very important topic for me personally.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities