Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instilling Professionalism

Aside from enforcing school and classroom policies, what successful approaches have you used to influence the behavior of a student who is consistently tardy?

I have tried putting the student in charge of stetting up my demo prep or having them assist me with some of my prep tasks. Usually during these times they tend to confide in you their issues, mostly it pertains to outside issues I cannot help with, but having them take ownership of small tasks makes them feel they are not being left behind or pushed aside.

Luke,

I'm so glad thta you have students assist you in these tasks. Even if they talk about outside issues that you cannot help them with, just having someone listen can mean so much to them. Having them assist you can help feel a sense of belonging to the school community.

Jae Gruber

I first talk to them to find out why, and then if possible I compare his Tardiness to the real world with him/her and kind of set some goals with him/her where both of us can benefit. I also if possible give them extra tasks that will benefit them

Walter,

Your approach to tardiness seems very reasonable, realistic and practical. Discussing this issue with reference to what may happen on externship, in a full time job situation, or what their reaction would be if they were in your situation can often give the student a perspective they had not considered.

Jae Gruber

I got this idea from another professor but I wrote-up a contract. The contract stated that I was willing to reconsider a missed assignment but only if the student arrived at least 5 minutes early for every class and came prepared. It didn't magically fix the problem but the student stoopped being late by 10-20 minutes and was often on time or just 5 minutes late. It made the student accountable for his/her actions and it gave me a solid plan on how to handle the issue.

Mary,

Receiving and sharing best practices with other instructors is extremely helpful. As educators, we have to find more creative ways to not only hold students accountable, but also help them see how they truly benefit from accountablity.

Jae Gruber

I like the idea of the real world as if he is tardy all the time in school, then when he goes to look for a job and they ask for his transcript they are going to see all his or hers tariness, and if htey could not be there in school 100 percent that makes the employer 100 percent that he or her will be at work. What we do in live in school carries over to adulthood.

Kim,

Three is a strong connection between habits and behaviors at school and how they relate to the work place. Sometimes students will say that they would never be late to work, or leave work early or fall asleep at work, or be rude to someone they work with, but school is "different". Chances are very good that behaviors are not so easily turned off and on. It is important for instructors to help their students develop the best work habits and soft skills.

Jae Gruber

I try first to find out what is going on with them and discuss the importance of being on time. If it becomes a regular thing I find it is important to enforce the fact they lose professional points each time they are late.

When I first started teaching (3 1/2 years ago) I took tardiness very personally--I was affronted by that behavior. Now, I work to find out the caucse of the habitual tardiness and relate it to the likelihood of failure at an externship or job. I try to get the students to 'own' their upcoming careers and to see the direct relationship between what they do (or don't do) and their ultimate success. Success is a learned behavior, I tell them; repeating the right thing day after day is the only pathway.

Megan,

The discussion with habitually late individuals is just as important, if not more important than losing the professionalism points. I've observed that if instructors simply take off points, but do not discuss the matter with the student, the tardy issue tends to continue throughout the rotation.

Jae Gruber

Laura,

You are quite correct in explaining to your students that success is a learned behavior. Students sometimes insist that they would never be late to work, but school is "different" and yet, all to often habits pertaining to tardiness can spill over into their externship.

Jae Gruber

The approach I use for students that are consistently tardy is the following: I would ask them if they currently work or if they have worked before. Then I would ask them how long they think they would last or have lasted at a job if they consistently are late. That usually gets their attention and makes them realize the importance of being on time. I also remind them that we don't just teach cooking but we teach them to become professional culinarian and try to instill professional behavior in them.

Sometimes this is about student responsibility. This is about reinforcing the notion, that you the student are here for a reason, to get an education and pursue your craft. Sometimes this is done in a one on one setting, a straightforward conversation about expectations. Also, putting forth the idea that in the long run this will only diminish your success in school and the work place.

Mark,

These are all excellent points. When instructors estblish guidelines and boundries on the first day of class and are consistent about reinforcing expectations many students come to appreciate the discipline, even if it is sometimes in retrospect.

Jae Gruber

This is a very good idea that I will try to use in my classroom.

I try to make it realistic to what would happen if you were at a job and showed up tardy. What would your boss or chef make you do? all of those unfavorable cleaning projects that need to be done or a monotonous task that is equally not enjoyable. Either way a punishment needs to be assigned to condition that individual and to also let other students know what are the consequences to their actions.

I will show them the amount of tardies and absences they have accrued in the class and ask them what is happening that is preventing them from being on time. I will listen to their issue and then also explain to them why it is important that they are on time and if they continue to be late that it will have a larger impact on their grade. Usually that is enough for the tardies to improve.

I've discussed with the student to try and see if there is a way we can resolve it together. Whether it be help reading the train schedule or budgeting money for parking, I try to give them the tools necessary. I also make sure that we talk about the real world implications and that they will be docked pay, or let go and that this is certainly something that will follow them.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities