Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you link the service learning to a community?

This suggests that communities have an involvment in the education. How do you ensure than this happens?

Hi Jeffrey,
Service learning for credit is a part of the educational process of students. The college sets up the experiences and get the students involved. The other form of service learning is when students volunteer their time and skills at community events because they want to share and contribute to that community.
It is ideal if a college has service learning as a part of its' curriculum so that way every students participates in some type of service learning.
Gary

Rather than that just being part of the extern process I agree that every class should incorporate that into the cirriculum. I get students involved with a local food cooperative. There they not only have the oppurtunity for networking but also but also applying what they have learned. This also increases thier confidence.

I teach practical application of Esthetics Technology. During our first quarter of instruction, our students take a field trip to a local hospital to perform facials on parents/family of children in the critical care unit at the hospital. This helps them to understand that part of what they are learning is to provide comfort as well as good skin care. Each student usually comes back with a renewed sense of having made the right career choice.

I agree that students should, at the very least, be encouraged to participate in service learning projects. Outside of the direct application of the knowledge gained in the classroom and making that knowledge relevent, instilling a sense of value about giving and respect for people is the most important lesson. Supporting and reinforcing service to others aids in creating an environment conducive to positive social interactions and responsibity in one's community.

In the helthcare college I instruct students choose a memeber of their community who is in need of oral health advise. This student then provides the instruments needed, for example, tooth brush, floss, mouthwash, and demonstrates the proper brushing techniques. The student grasps confidence and the patient is highly appreicative.

Tamara,
This is a form of service learning and it is very effective as you have seen. The more of this type of learning you can incorporate into your program the greater engagement you will have from your students. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Service learning is very important because it shows the student that what they learn is important and they can apply what they learn out in the community. What we do makes a different in someone else's life. This can motivate a student to be the best in their field.

Sign In to comment