Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Giving rewards

What would be a good reward for the students?

Hi Rosa,
It all depends upon what reinforces your students. It may be refreshments, a party, extra points for work well done, etc. Try several different rewards and see how they are received. It won't take long for your students to let you know what they value.
Mine like to play games while having a potluck or pizza party. It is a break that is appreciated but they are still learning something in the process.
Gary

Some times its just the recongnition of a good dead they have done.

I think the best reward to give a student is motivation. Many students get stressed and frustrated with school work, but if the teacher motivates the student, the student will know that there is someone there for them and will want them to continue on. I think that motivation is the best reward we can give our students.

Recognizing a student's achievments is a real motivator for the student. I like to verbally reward the student in private, but I also like to reference their success in class when an opportunity comes up that is related to what they achieved.

When that student hears me commend their achievment in front of the other students, I immediately see a big smile appear on their face and you can really tell that they feel great.

I also reward by having a food party, pizza or things like that. One thing that I watch out for is overdoing it. The rewards should be for extra special times and not something that is given all the time. They will appreciate it much more if it is not given all the time.

Hi Roberta,
You are right on target about being careful when and how to reward students. Sounds like you have developed a real sense of how that balance can be created. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Sign In to comment