Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Civility and Managing Overall Communication | Origin: EL105

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Online Language: Communicating with Students --> Civility and Managing Overall Communication

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I agree that proper etiquette is important in online communications. I think it's important we teach our students this skill as well. 

With all the communication apps and accessibility to everyone all the time, there has to be some healthy boundaries, so you aren't communicating with everyone 24/7. I plan on putting in some limits as the training suggested to make sure I'm not on the clock everyday. 

This is identifying how to set up protcols.

Civility is very important for clear communication within the online learning enviornment. Setting clear expectations and boundaires is key for nurturing and supportive communcation. 

This module discusses setting the rules or models for communication and the consequences of not following the rules. Since online classes take place through written communication it is important to develop netiquette rules for communicating in order to keep the class civilized and allow education to take place. It is best to set the rules at the beginning of the class, give examples of proper communication, and discuss the consequences of not following the rules. The rules could include what questions should be posted on a FAQ discussion board vs what questions should be sent directly to the instructor, what times instructors will not be available to respond to emails, and using professional vocabulary and tone. There are different types of communications such as S2I, I2S, and S2S, as well as different types of questions - content related, process related, and feedback. 

As a leader, we establish the rules of engagement, we set expectations. Establishing defined patterns of communication assists us in the process. I'll be a good follower and lead by example. I have experienced poor online communication. It can be challenging because the message is not always clearly what I think it is. Setting clear guidelines in a predictable pattern of communication can make it better defined. 

 

The instructor sets the rules and expectations for the class. The instructor will inform students of proper language to be used on the internet. 

Communication with students should always be proofread for spelling and tone. The tone should be neutral while avoiding potentially triggering words to maintain civility in online communication.

There may be value in posting at the onset the netiquette expected throughout the class. This could eliminate offense later.

This highlighted the importance of maintaining respectful, clear, and consistent communication in an online environment. Establishing expectations early and modeling professional behavior fosters a positive atmosphere where students feel comfortable participating and engaging. I plan to apply these principles by being intentional with my tone, providing clear guidelines, and addressing misunderstandings promptly to ensure communication remains respectful and effective.

Ultimately, as in all situations, good communication skills are the key to success.  As an instructor, establishing and upholding those requirements is very important for not only the success of the class but also the learners educational experience

This emphasized the importance of maintaining respectful, clear, and consistent communication in an online environment. Setting expectations early and modeling professional behavior helps create a positive space where students feel comfortable մասնակցing and engaging. I plan to apply this by being intentional with my tone, providing clear guidelines, and addressing misunderstandings early so communication stays respectful and effective.
 
 
 

role model and engage with Prosise communication.

I intend on sharing more examples of appropriate discussion board post early in the semester. 

It is important to keep communication clear, respectful, and consistent so students feel comfortable reaching out and know exactly what to expect. By setting a positive tone, responding professionally, and laying out my communication policies in advance so there’s no confusion later on.

I am lucky because the expectations are provided in a student handbook.  We use discussion forums in Canvas and I monitor the students' comments.

Policies in communication are important and should be laid out in advanced to avoid confusion.

From the Module and Managing overall Communication, I have learned that effective communication in any learning or professional environment relies heavily on respect, clarity, and timeliness. Civility is not just about being polite; it involves actively listening, acknowledging different perspective and responding thoughtfully. I also learned that managing communication channels such as emails, discussion boards, and video calls is the key to interaction

Following etiquette is important when communicating online, try not to use language that is degrading to the students.

 
 
 

Sign In to comment