Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Why do Students Leave?

Most students enroll in your institution to further their education and improve their lives. In your opinion why do students withdraw from your institution before graduating?

Compensation

The federal regulations prohibit compensation directly or indirectly related to student enrollments. By comparing the approved and unapproved methods explain which methods are most effective.

CAN-SPAM

What is the single most important item you learned about emailing students and how will it change your daily communication style?

Staying Compliant

Understanding the importance of creating a compliant culture what are your best practices that will keep you in compliance with the rules and regulations?

Communication is Key

Recognizing all of the regulatory changes that govern communication, what type of communication do you use most often and why?

Misrepresentation

Now that you understand which areas of misrepresentation are federally regulated, Nature of the Educational Program, Nature of Financial Charges, Employability of Graduates and Relationship with the Department of Education explain which area is most important and why?

Improving Outcomes

Every staff and faculty member has a responsibility to help students succeed. What are some of your thoughts on how to improve student outcomes?

Separation of Duties

There is a distinction between Admissions and Financial Aid duties. Why is this separation of duty so important?

Catalogs are Critical

Catalogs are often mentioned throughout the course. What makes the catalog so valuable to both the student and a school employee?

Only One

If you had to choose one disclosure to present to a prospective student which one would it be? Why?

Communication is Key

With all of the changes to technology in communication, what type of communication do you find most useful and why?

Focus on Employment

The regulatory bodies have always been focused on employment outcomes. Do you believe that focus has intensified? If your answer is yes, what do you believe is the driving force behind the intensity?

Mission Statements

In your own words explain why your company's mission and value premise is important to you?

Regulatory Environment

Describe how the regulatory environment has changed over the past few years. What impact have these changes had on your school?

Complaints and Concerns

Why is it important to address student complaints and concerns in a timely fashion? What are the potential outcomes to ignoring students concerns?

Compliance/representation

I am more comfortable now than when I began the course as far as representation is concorned. I have heard a lot of rumors since I began my employment here about what can and cannot be said to a student. I now think I have a firm grasp on the concept of compliance.

Student wants to bring her mom to school.

I have an unusual request for accommodations on my desk. A student is requesting that she be allowed to bring her mom to school. She wants her mom to sit with her during all academic classes and wants her mom to help her to work on "appropriate material." The student is diabetic and believes that she needs her mom to help her manage her symptoms. The student also has a learning disability and believes her mom would be the best person to assist her with note taking and understanding the material. Do you believe this is a "reasonable" accommodation? Why… >>>

Veteran with PTSD and Education

The notes from CM251 states that higher education needs to find a way to identify and deal with the students who may not be appropriate to the postsecondary environment without excluding students with psychological disabilities who are capable of functioning well in college. I agree that we must address the needs of Soldiers who are deemed not fit or inoperable because they suffer from depression, PTSD or other psychological concerns. But how do we do it without discriminating against those with mental or psychological disorders. Opportunities are needed without regards to unproven and feared ideology about their ability to function… >>>

Lack of accommodations

As I have an older sibling who is legally blind, has 70% loss of hearing, and who was diagnosed as ADD as a child, I feel that more colleges and universities, even the one I work for should do more to make accommodations for students with disabilities. How can we expect to make a more fair and just world for "ALL" while we still exclude and cause discriminatory actions in the workplace for individuals who have had "limitations" while not being given reasonable accommodations?

Misrepresentation

I found the information on misrepresentation interesting from a standpoint that many colleges and universities feel they mus put theie institution in the best light possible in order to recruit new students. That being said however, I fell it is a disservice to a potential student to be mislead into thinking that they will definitely gain employment after they graduate from a specific hight institution of learning. I think some institutions walk the line in implying such messages in their advertising. I also think that the recruitment process should uphold the professional integrity of the institution by answering question for protential… >>>