Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lack of accommodations

As I have an older sibling who is legally blind, has 70% loss of hearing, and who was diagnosed as ADD as a child, I feel that more colleges and universities, even the one I work for should do more to make accommodations for students with disabilities.
How can we expect to make a more fair and just world for "ALL" while we still exclude and cause discriminatory actions in the workplace for individuals who have had "limitations" while not being given reasonable accommodations?

Todd,
I LOVE your fighting spirit! It often takes, not just the enthusiasm, but the experience of those who have lived through these issues to help others to understand both the impact of discrimination and the injustice. I am sure your students will be better off for both your openness and your faith in their abilities.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree. I have a son with autism and while he may not function at the same level as "typical" students he should be given every opportunity to try.

Michelle,
You are right. The key is to allow students to reach their potential -- whatever that potential is -- without deciding FOR them that pursuing a given course of study is or is not a good choice for them.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

There have been many people, throughout history, who have overcome disability and hardship and gone on to have fulfilling careers. As long as instructors make learning opportunities accessible for all students, then we give each of them a chance to succeed. Some students have disabilities that instructors may never know about, and still go on to graduate and succeed in their chosen careers.

Cheryl,
I am pleased with your confidence in students with disabilities. But let me suggest a shift in thinking. Perhaps those folks didn't have fulfilling careers by "overcoming disability and hardship" -- but rather because they were damn good at their jobs. These days, more and more, we often see disability as a necessary nuisance, rather than an overwhelming force in the student's life!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Allowing every individual to reach their potential is the most important. We must realize that whatever a persons' disability is they can in fact make some type of contribution no matter how large or how small. As educators we must do whatever we can to help them get there.

Allowing every individual to reach their potential is the most important. We must realize that whatever a persons' disability is they can in fact make some type of contribution no matter how large or how small. As educators we must do whatever we can to help them get there.

Patricia,
Agreed. Just keep in mind that making accommodations doesn't mean watering down standards, and accommodations are to facilitate ACCESS, not success. We want to make it possible for these students to have an equal chance to show us what they know and can do.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Thanks for the suggestion to make a shift in thinking. We have a girl interested in our college program who is deaf. After reading her application paperwork it was clear that this girl did not let her disability hold her back in life at all. In fact she was accomplished in many areas, an active advocate for her deaf community, and even a teen model. This girl will succeed, not by overcoming disability and hardship, but because she is just damn good at everything she does. Really like the shift in thinking suggestion. Thanks.

Marsha,
" This girl will succeed, not by overcoming disability and hardship, but because she is just damn good at everything she does." YES!!! That is the part that people miss when they think about "students with disabilities" as being a breed apart. If the institution has done its job, all students will succeed or fail based on their own abilities. Some will do better than others. That is as it should be!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment