Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Focus on Employment

The regulatory bodies have always been focused on employment outcomes. Do you believe that focus has intensified? If your answer is yes, what do you believe is the driving force behind the intensity?

Yes, I do believe the focus on employment outcomes have intensified. I think the driving force behind this is multi-faceted. the USDE, states, and accrediting bodies are wanting assurance that school programs are leading to successful outcomes and schools with successful outcomes secure future funding and future enrollment by the reputation of successful outcomes. I also think what has been commonplace in the for-profit education environment in this reqard is more and more becoming a standard in the non-profit and private education sector. Everyone wants to see successful educational institutions demonstrating accountability for our mission and our outcomes.

Yes, the intensity has defenitely increased and
I think that the economic downturn and the
inability of many highly educated people or graduates from skilled trades programs,to secure a good paying job has contributed to people questioning the cost of education and the ensuing loan indebtedness.
Social media have made it a lot easier for people to voice their opinions and politicians and regulators are paying attention and are trying to
address these issues through new regulation.

paula,

In such an intense environment how is a school able to overcome those uncontrollable variables, such as economic downturns?

Cindy Bryant

Actually I believe it has always been in the forefront of my accrediting agency. We just have not had to disclose it until the new regulations. Additionally which was a surprise to me we recently received our new minimum employment rates and they have actually reduced them. Again I think we have always been held accountable for our employment rates with appropriate documentation so I do not believe that it has become more intensified.

Edwin,

Most, if not all, accrediting agencies require that schools report their rates. It is very good to know that some agencies have reduced their rates to align them with the current industry standard.

You are right disclosing to the student is a new process for some schools. Many schools feel like such disclosure has negatively impacted their ability to enroll students what is your position on this critical area?

Cindy Bryant

I beleive that the focus on employment outcomes has increased due to all the misrepresentation from vocational schools about job placement in the recent times

Jennifer,

When it comes to outcomes, as an industry, what can we do to change the mindset of the media and the public?

Cindy Bryant

Yes, the focus as intensified because of the current the statistics of high unemployment. Students need to be prepared and given the tools to be successful in the workforce. There is an ongoing competitive pool of applicants for jobs; therefore, graduates need to be trained as the best applicants for their particular fields of work.

Yes I do believe that the focus on employment outcomes has intensified. I believe that the economy is a driving force. More and more students are starting to graduate college with extreme student loan debt and are unable to find work to help pay back their student loans. And they are unable to find work because of the current state of the economy.

I have worked for schools that have been disclosing the placement rates. I think it's important for the prospective students to know the placement rates. Most of the students enroll because they are looking for a quick change in their lives and an opportunity to start a new career so they can support their families and themselves. I've heard of horrible stories where students owe over $30,000 in tuition and were not able to find a job.

With our current economy, I think schools need to really look at lowering the number of students that can enroll to make sure that the Career Services department can realistically help the graduates find jobs.

Schools should really do research to make sure that there is a job market demand for the program that is offering.

Thuha,

An important phase in building the foundation of a school is doing due diligence. Part of due diligence is conducting a marketing analysis that would focus on employment opportunities.

Cindy Bryant

With our focus for students being "success" as defined in not just starting school, but more importantly, graduating, becoming employed, graduating with less debt, etc. I believe that for some institutions and employees in the industry it would be defined as "more instense". However, within my own belief, no. I have always belived and trained my admissions teams with the focus to be just that, Graduation and beyond.

I believe the intensity has increased in the aspect of what we are required to provide to students in regards to "their rights to know" and that some have felt the impact of now insuring that they play a major role in student retention from the very beginning versus simply focusing on getting students to start school. As admissions representatives, we are equally accountable for retention, graduation, and all other areas of success for our students, therefore, some admissions employees may feel the pressure if they have not practiced ethical practices for enrolling students in the past.

I do believe that they aremore focused on employment outcomes, especially state regulatory bodies. I think this is in large part to the DOE gainful employment driver.

Bridgette,

I believe that accreditors and states have always had a vehicle in place to focus on employment outcomes. I agree, the attention given those outcomes have definitely magnified for two reasons; 1) Program Integrity 2) The state of the economy, where there has been diminished employment leading to poor employment percentages.

Cindy Bryant

Becky,

I am sure that your institution appreciates your viewpoint and the fact that you take ownership of not only admissions but the entire process through graduation.

Cindy Bryant

I believe it has intensified as it should. It is important to know that your graduates are able to find jobs, even with the downturn to the economy. Unfortunately there are schools that have had very low placement numbers and making other proprietary schools look bad.

While employment has always been one of the top three focuses of our accrediting body – yes, it has been intensified due some agendas in the political arena.
This is another chance for me to say THANK YOU to our regulating and accrediting agencies for even having or expecting a standard level of employment. As you may have gleaned from my previous answers – I fully support the goals of career colleges (and not just because I work here). This is yet another opportunity for our colleges to differentiate ourselves from other institutions and colleges. Continued career service support – from enrollment to beyond graduation gives us the opportunity to build a strong working relationship with the student and ideally, their employers.
Having an expected level of employment proves that we have an overall goal of being a career college – not just trying to profit from a student’s interest while not having their best interest in mind. We recently had to teach-out a program due to the economy. Our local community college still offers the program. While yes, they may profit from that student’s initial enrollment – what about when the student realizes that there are far more qualified applicants that have already saturated the industry and willing to work for similar wages? This leads to a potential drop or worse – a potentially disgruntled graduate that can’t get employed. If they choose not to or can’t pay their loans, this could lead to potential default on the student (ruining their chance for future education until they catch up) or bad debt on the schools financial reports. Consequently, this could lead to “negative advertisement” for the college or institution. While my example is truly a slippery slope of false logic – it can (and probably has) happen(ed). I feel that these standards of employments enable career colleges to show students that we do have their best interest in mind. I have an associate’s degree from a community college, a bachelor’s degree from University of Phoenix, and two masters’ degrees from Webster University. NOT ONE of those schools have, has nor ever will inquire on my employment or career progression. That’s okay with me – it just gives schools such as mine a leading edge for those that are career driven.

Joanie,

Welcome to the forum. As you mentioned in this repressed market students have suffered significantly while seeking employment. However, I believe that the "traditional" college graduates have had a bigger challenge than skilled graduates. The good news is reported in a Bloomberg article, there is an expected 10.2% upturn in the employment market this year which will be very helpful. Another factor that will increase employ-ability is the fact that last year the oldest members of the Baby Boom generation celebrated their 65th birthday. In fact, every year, and for every day for the next 19 years, 10,000 baby boomers will reach age 65. This will open the door to massive opportunities for our graduates. Thank you for reminding us of what our sector does so well.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment